CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 6903
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDimension in Feet/Inches Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mr Jolly View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD LT 2014
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dimension in Feet/Inches Problem
    Posted: 23.Oct.2014 at 11:57
Hi All

Thanks for looking at my problem! 
Right.. i use AutoCAD LT14, and dimension in mm as i'm based in the UK. I'm currently doing a project in the states and they require setting out dimensions in feet and inches (',"). 
When i change my dimension style to Architectual and precision 0'.0" 1/8, the dimension in model space turns to feet and inches. However.... a simple wall dimension of 200mm now becomes 16'.8". Which is 16 feet 18 inches yeah? how do i set the units/scale so that it should read 0.7 7/8 (which is 200mm)?

Puzzled and up against it!

Hope you can help

Thanks in advance

Chris 
Rusty CAD User
philippe JOSEPH View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD Mechanical 2017
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23.Oct.2014 at 14:03
Hello Mr Jolly, if you want to work in inches on a file drawn in mm it shouldn't be a problem if you set your units in inches or feet or an other unit ( command UNITS to set this ).
Eventually see my dwg file : FEET-METERS.dwg that you can find in the CAD Blocks library right here in the site, launch a search with FEET-METERS.
That file explains in fact the secondary units use but it's OK for your use also.
You can also work with different files to be copy/paste or inserted using different units provide the unit in each file is set and set on the good unit.
Of course if you work on a feet or inch file with the unit set on mm you must know that one inch is 25.4 mm and that one foot is 12 inches = 304.8 mm.
Please tell us if this helped or not.

Edited by philippe JOSEPH - 23.Oct.2014 at 14:10
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23.Oct.2014 at 14:28
200mm is 0'-7 7/8" if you want to write it correctly.  Or you can shorten it to 7 7/8" leaving off the leading zero foot designation.

The reason for the dimensional discrepancy is AutoCAD now thinks the line is 200 inches long (or 16'-8").  Note those of us on this side of the pond use a dash between the feet and inches not a dot.

Edited by John Connor - 23.Oct.2014 at 14:33
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Mr Jolly View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23.Oct.2014 at 15:35
Thanks guys, i'm going to give it go! will report back.

I think i've established that i need to re-scale a metric drawn drawing to inches.

i'll report back. 

Jolly :) 
Rusty CAD User
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23.Oct.2014 at 15:39
You do know that it is possible to use alternate units when dimensioning in AutoCAD don't you?  You can set it up to display in both metric units and in feet/inches.  Check your Help file for further information.
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Mr Jolly View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23.Oct.2014 at 16:21
Thanks again Guys... i've cracked it :)

I went into Dimension Style, Modify, and put in the scale factor or 0.03937, the inverse of 25.4 (mm in an inch) and it worked a treat :) Didnt't have to scale down the whole drawing which i thought i would have to.

Thanks for your professional help.

Mr Jolly is in fact now... very Jolly :) 

Rusty CAD User

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic