CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 7577
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNewbee question: cut body

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hunsnowboarder View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD Mechanical 2013
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbee question: cut body
    Posted: 24.Mar.2015 at 11:30
Hello Everyone!

This is the first time I write to this forum, so please be gentle! Smile 

I am very new to AutoCad and I would like to learn it bit by bit.

The problem I have now, is that I would like cut through a body. I do not need the section plane, actually I would like to cut the body and delete the upper part. Is it possible?

What I did so far is that I created a cone and a sphere and I united them. (please see picture below). Next I created a rectangle and moved and rotated at the position where the cut should be made.

Could you please guide me and/or give me hints how could I cut that body (sphere+cone)?

THank you in advance! :)

AD and I would like to
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24.Mar.2015 at 12:49
I would extrude a line, creating a surface, then use that to cut your 3D model via the SLICE command.
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24.Mar.2015 at 16:18

A quick example to demonstrate the results of the technique.  You could also use the SLICE with Object option using just the line.

Edited by John Connor - 24.Mar.2015 at 16:51
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24.Mar.2015 at 16:58

Maybe a little closer to what you are expecting?

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24.Mar.2015 at 20:15
Thank you a lot for your reply. However I just cant find out how to slice it.
I allways get fail. I have the options planar object, surface, zaxis, view, zx, zy, yx.

I draw a line extrude it and selected it as planar object but it says: unable to extract the plane of the selected object.

:(

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24.Mar.2015 at 22:53
I either use the Surface option or the Object option.  If you use the Surface option make sure to check that the surface actually passes all the way through the 3D model.

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.Mar.2015 at 11:17
Thanks again for your feedback. I do not understand what am I doing wrong. It cuts the cone but not sphere. However they are united and when I click on the sphere or cone it selects the whole body. :(

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.Mar.2015 at 16:25
Sounds like your cutting plane is not oriented correctly resulting in a partial cut.  That's why when you pick on either the cone or the sphere the entire 3D model is highlighted.  Look at the first image I posted.  See how the magenta colored surface cuts through and beyond the cone and the sphere?  Does your cutting surface do the same?  Notice too that the cutting surface is also wider than the widest part of the cone/sphere.  This usally guarantees a successful slice.

Edited by John Connor - 25.Mar.2015 at 16:27

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic