CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 7826
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedscaling problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
akoarkitekto View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2013,AutoCAD2010
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17.Apr.2015 at 12:08
Hello philippe joseph thanks for your help. i've just review your uploaded cad file and i've noticed that in the elevation section you changed the scale note from 1:50 - 1:40.. but i think it's in the scale of 1:10 and in the layout part can i ask if what zooming scale did you use.: 
<zoom><scale>40xp? for the elevation? and
<zoom><scale>50xp? for the section?
thanks....

Thanks..

AKOARKITEKTO
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17.Apr.2015 at 12:45
I looked at the drawing that Philippe uploaded and it appears to me that he only used two scales.  The viewport on the left has a scale of 1:25 and the one on the right has a scale of 1:50.  I don't know where you are getting a scale of 1:10.

The one main thing you need to keep in mind is that all objects in model space should be drawn FULL size.  If a building is 15 meters wide that's what you draw it.  You do NOT scale a drawing as you would if you were doing it on a piece of paper using manual drafting methods.

Once your drawing is completed then you switch to a layout and start creating Viewports.  Viewports are merely windows that allow us to see the objects we created back in model space.  Viewports are assigned a scale NOT the objects back in model space.  When it comes time to print you do so at a scale of 1:1.  AutoCAD will automatically take care of scaling the various viewports based on the scale assigned to them.

It appears that your drawing was done using a method that mimics exactly what one would do if manually drafting the drawing on a drafting board.  That is the wrong approach.  Why?  Because you run into the exact problem you described.  Example: the height of your house.  On the two elevation views it measures 5.00 yet in the sectional view it measures 12.5 (2.5 times larger).

I'd suggest you do some reading and view some tutorials about using paper space layouts and viewports and how to properly set up a drawing that utilizes these features.

Edited by John Connor - 17.Apr.2015 at 12:48
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17.Apr.2015 at 12:53
I just noticed one other thing with your drawing.

Although you appear to want to draw using metric units your template file turns out to be one that uses imperial units (decimal inches) rather than metric units.

In the future you should use a metric template file every time you start a new drawing.  One such template that comes standard with AutoCAD is acadiso.dwt.  Another metric template is named Tutorial-mArch.dwt (for metric architectural drawings).

Do NOT use the default template file named acad.dwt because it uses imperial units.  Understand?
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

philippe JOSEPH View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD Mechanical 2017
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17.Apr.2015 at 13:30
Hello again akoarkitekto, in fact I haven't focused on the dimensions apearances ( mainly the height of the texts and the dimensions of the arrows ) but I have set correctly the scale of the 2 viewports on a A1 paper size.
There are many ways to set the dimensions and this should be done with a "prototype file" of your own or of your company.
The most important here is to learn viewports and scales to drawn at scale 1/1 in the model space.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17.Apr.2015 at 13:34
By "prototype" I think Philippe is suggesting that you consider creating a custom template file that has all your layers, linetypes, text styles, dimension styles, title block and border, etc. already included so that every time you start a new drawing you do not have to recreate all of these items from scratch.  Many companies follow this method and create custom template files for different size drawings.

BTW...when using layouts it is customary to place one's title block and border in the layout and not in model space.  As for dimensions and text you have a couple of options.  They can be placed in model space using annotative scaling or they can be placed in your layout.  Each method has its pros and cons and should be tried/tested before deciding which method works best for your particular situation.  There is no "right" or "wrong" way there are just multiple ways.

Edited by John Connor - 17.Apr.2015 at 13:37

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

akoarkitekto View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2013,AutoCAD2010
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18.Apr.2015 at 06:11
thanks guys for all your suggestions and comments. I've learned a lot from that.. thanks also for cadforum :) 
Thanks..

AKOARKITEKTO
sajjad137 View Drop Down

Using: 2009
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29.Apr.2015 at 06:21
Hello....hope u all will be fine.....brother i am facing a problem....when i convert a file from Contours Shapefile for a large area to CAD file then its size is increased so much that it becomes difficult to handle it in CAD, also the the vertices on the lines are very much....plz telly me the solution anybody..............
Sajjad

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29.Apr.2015 at 11:35
You do realize you are hijacking a thread started by someone else about an entirely different subject don't you?  That is considered bad form.

What program are you using?  It does not sound like plain AutoCAD.

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic