CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 563
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedgroups

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
howhow1 View Drop Down

Using: autocad2005
Direct Link To This Post Topic: groups
    Posted: 20.Apr.2015 at 22:34
question RE groups
 on a-cad 2004 there  is a group command where you can select objects, ad to group and copy, move etc as a whole group
  how is this accomplished on 2005?
I noticed there is  a group command if typed in , by can't find an icon
also after naming group  adding objects  and highlighting  the entire group is not highlited
 Confused
howhow
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20.Apr.2015 at 23:47
Go to your AutoCAD 2005 Help file and search on the word GROUP.  Start reading.  Usually the explanation of the command also includes all the ways it can be invoked.
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

howhow1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21.Apr.2015 at 02:04
I've been studying up on it but can't figure out why
it won't let me explode a group
 what am I not  doing correctly? is it the way  the group is set up?
 is there a better way such as making a block - so as to explode &
 use separate  objects  and then  "re- block" ?
 thanks
howhow
philippe JOSEPH View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD Mechanical 2017
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21.Apr.2015 at 07:52
Hello howhow1 and John, a long time ago I tried using groups but I found them unusefull ( I may be wrong ), now I use and abuse of blocks ( with all their complex functions ) and am very happy with this.
Maybe I'm wrong about not using groups ?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21.Apr.2015 at 11:29
You did not study hard enough or you skipped class.

Under the topic "About Groups" you'll find a section called "To Ungroup Objects".  Read it.

What exactly are you trying to do?  maybe if you gave us some much needed background we'll have a better understanding of the nature of the problem and thus we can offer a solution that will work.

We need details.  Lots of details.  Don't stop explaining until you run out of words and find yourself repeating phrases.  Starting now.................................................
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

howhow1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21.Apr.2015 at 16:31
I read what was available to me  (didn't skip class)
  ok . . details
what I want to  do and find  find handy is  when I'm laying out a design is to build a group of multiple objects(lines, circles, arcs, symbols etc)  so as to  manipulate, as well as copy individual object(s) from that group after exploding
in a-cad 2004 LT there  is  a group toolbar  which allows  you build groups,
 explode them add to them, and rebuild them  using  the icons in the toolbar
 the only similar icon in 2005 is the explode icon
 the steps I've used  in creating the group:

To create a group

1. At the Command prompt, enter group.
  1. In the Object Grouping dialog box under Group Identification, enter a group name and a description.
  2. In the Create Group area, click New.

The dialog box closes temporarily.

1. Select objects and press ENTER.
  1. Click OK.
when clicking the explode icon, and then clicking on the group the command line message  reads
"_ objects were not able to be exploded"  thus leaving the group intact

upon  typing group in the help search box what appears is "create  groups" with the tabs "concepts,
procedures and reference"  typing "ungroup" yields the same result
 the only info regarding  ungrouping displayed  so far;
" The objects in your drawing can be members of more than one group, and groups themselves can be nested in other groups. You can ungroup a nested group to restore the original group configuration."
where does it explain the steps for this this ?

There is no group toolbar  in the customize menu (unless I need glasses) that I'm seeing on 2005,
 there is no topic "about groups"or section called " to ungroup objects objects"
 under the heading "group objects"  "procedures" tab  what in offered is

upon typing " -group " an option of exploding a named group is available
 however  I did not name  all of the groups
do I have to go back and rename the groups?
 so what I want to do is to have a toolbar   to click on an icon  rather than having to type the command  every time  with the ability to build, modify and explode groups with in a drawing
 yes    I appreciate the guidance " if you give a man a fish he eats for a day, and if you teach a man to fish  he eats for a lifetime"
  any  pearls  would be appreciated

howhow

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21.Apr.2015 at 17:29
First off I think you should use UNGROUP not EXPLODE.  You may get results you weren't expecting with Explode.  BTW...there is an option under Group for Explode.  Not sure if there is anything different about this option versus the regular Explode command.  Test it and find out.

You do not have to name every group.  AutoCAD will name them for you.  Why didn't you use the LIST command to check the name of the group?

You also do not have to know the name of the group to ungroup it.  Invoke the command then pick the group.

Use the Search box and type in Group.  What other choices are available?

Have you looked at the Group options like Remove, Add, Rename, Reorder, Description and Selectable? 

You can create a custom toolbar icon for the Group and Ungroup commands so you do not have to keep typing the command in.  Maybe you can use a command alias?  What about a small lisp routine?

It could be that since I am using a version of the program that is 10 years newer than yours what I see may be different than what you see.  I think it is time to upgrade don't you?

Do you do any 3D work?

Do you make use of lisp routines?

What kinds of drawings do you create that you believe the GROUP command is the best choice?

Edited by John Connor - 21.Apr.2015 at 17:47

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic