CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 11819
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedREAD ONLY SYSTEM VARIABLE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eaaronf01 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Using: Autocad 2017
Direct Link To This Post Topic: READ ONLY SYSTEM VARIABLE
    Posted: 21.May.2015 at 20:12
Why is my UNDOCTL system variable set to 61 READ ONLY.
This is B.S. I cant change my undo settings, i can only undo one command.  How do you remove "READ ONLY" from a system variable?
Eric Foster
Robert_D View Drop Down

Using: BricsCAD v21, AutoCAD2006
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21.May.2015 at 23:15
UNDOCTL is read-only. It is used to "Indicate the state of the Auto, Control, and Group options of the UNDO command."
Use the UNDO command to change the value.
eaaronf01 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21.May.2015 at 23:54
the default value keeps getting set back to 1.  i have to change this setting everytime i want to undo? i set it  to "end" and it went back too far, now i lost about 2 hours of work, how do i set it back to just undo 1 thing at a time with no limit?  Why the hell would you ever wanna change that.  I hate when they change things that worked good for me.
Eric Foster
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22.May.2015 at 00:02
How do you lose two hours worth of work because of a malfunctioning UNDO command?

I would either restore all default settings (this would be via the Start button > All Programs > AutoCAD...) or I would do a REPAIR of the installation which is NOT the same as an uninstall / reinstall.

And try to remain calm as you are upsetting the other forum members.  Thank you and have a sparkling day.
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

eaaronf01 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22.May.2015 at 00:36
i typed in undo and it undid everything all the way back to when i started the drawing.  O.K. WHEN YOU TYPE IN UNDO, IT ASKS FOR NUMBER OF OPERATIONS TO UNDO OR A, C, BE, E, M, B AND THE DEFAULT IS <1>  IF I TYPE A FOR AUTO, THAT MEANS I CAN UNDO AS MANY OPERATIONS AS I WANT, ONE AT A TIME CORRECT?  TYPE IN A AND IT ASKS FOR AUTO MODE ON / OFF.  I WANT IT ON

NOW IF I USE THE U COMMAND RIGHT AFTER THIS, IT DOESN'T UNDO THE SYS VAR I JUST SET DOES IT? IT SHOULDN'T RIGHT?

IF I TYPE UNDO AGAIN THE DEFAULT IS STILL <1> IS THAT WHAT SHOULD BE HAPPENING?

HEY THANKS FOR YOUR HELP, APPRECIATE IT.
Eric Foster
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22.May.2015 at 00:50
If I use UNDO once in a drawing session that's a lot.  What are you doing that you need to repeatedly invoke the command?  BTW, the setting for UNDOCTL on my system is 53 (read only) and UNDO is set to "1".

I have no idea if running UNDO after one uses it to set an UNDO option cancels that operation.  I suppose it is possible.

Set UNDO to "1" and leave it alone.

You do know that many commands have their own UNDO option don't you?

Edited by John Connor - 22.May.2015 at 15:51
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic