CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 7116
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedworking as CAD designer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
35889 View Drop Down

Using: inventor 2013, 2015
Direct Link To This Post Topic: working as CAD designer
    Posted: 26.Aug.2015 at 23:43
I am a mechanical engineering graduate who wants to work as a CAD engineer. Is there anybody on here who can fill me in on what to expect? I am certified with inventor, used it for over 5 years but have not touched autocad. I dont know much about drafting in terms of part and assembly drawings in real life projects, and im not really sure on what to expect from a CAD engineering job based in mechanical projects. Is there anybody who could give me some insight into aspects of the job as a CAD engineer, and how a project starts and finishes in terms of part, assembly drawings and use of software etc? Thanks for any replies. 
jnem View Drop Down

Using: AUTOCAD 2015, SOLIDWORKS 2012, SKETCHUP 2014
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27.Aug.2015 at 08:23
I have not worked as a CAD Designer for long but from the experience that I have, you need to do learn Autocad. Majority of projects out there require 2D technical drwaings and Autocad is a leader in this. You can also look for projects involving product designs and developments which mostly use inventor or such close softwares.
jmn
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27.Aug.2015 at 11:31
No such thing as a cad engineer.  There are cad techs and cad managers however.  There are also engineers who use cad as a tool much as they would use a calculator or a spreadsheet.

Large well established companies are moving away from using generic AutoCAD towards such programs as Revit.  Revit is considered to be a "modern" cad program and is nothing like AutoCAD.  I suggest you look into Revit MEP.  Start with this link...

http://www.autodesk.com/products/revit-family/overview
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

nishajanarthan10 View Drop Down

Using: Auto Cad 2012
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22.Sep.2015 at 11:07
Working with CAD for a project is so easy. You just learn the basics of CAD and its shortcuts. This will help you to finish projects quickly. Start learning more about the shortcut keys.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22.Sep.2015 at 11:44
I fail to see what vital information that ^ ^ ^ post imparted to the OP.  How does learning shortcut keys benefit someone doing mechanical design using CAD?  What do shortcut keys have to do with parts and assembly drawings?
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

thomas rydder View Drop Down

Using: autocad civil 3d 2013
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22.Sep.2015 at 14:24
Whew...there's a guy who bears watching while at work, eh John?
Tom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22.Sep.2015 at 23:46
I'm sure he could teach us a trick or two about shortcut keys.

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic