CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 17981
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow do i make my windows on plan view look the sam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Imperial Is Dated View Drop Down

Using: Revit/CAD
Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do i make my windows on plan view look the sam
    Posted: 18.May.2016 at 10:30
Hello all,

I am fairly new to Revit, and the only one within my company that uses it. My boss would like all the windows on plan view to look the same. Although the windows are different i am wondering if there is a way to display them all the same.

Because the windows are different does that mean the cut through is always going to look different or is there a way to create the same plan view for all window families regardless of the window design.

I have attached my example.

Hope that all makes sense.

Thanks in advance 

Handshake
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18.May.2016 at 11:21
Is it because you used two different TYPES of windows?  Ex. - double hung vs. casement?
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18.May.2016 at 12:21
Yes that's correct, one is double hung and one is casement. So if i use casement its always going to look like that? 

Thanks!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18.May.2016 at 12:32
Of course it is.  Why would you expect different types of windows to look the same in plan view?  Why are you mixing different types of windows anyway?

Edited by John Connor - 18.May.2016 at 12:33
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18.May.2016 at 12:44
Like i said, i am new to Revit so i obviously have a lot to learn. I thought maybe you could edit the families to show a different design. 

Well as im sure you can tell i dont know much about families so i downloaded these two types from the internet. I chose these two becasue they matched closely to the ones on the building i am drawing. So are you saying i am able to create these two types of windows (the ones i want on my building) that look the same as the ones i currently have but under the same type, therefore showing the same type window on plan view?

Cheers

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18.May.2016 at 12:54
I suppose you could but personally I don't see the point of doing that.  Different window types have been drawn using different symbols long before CAD was even invented.  If you don't believe me go to the nearest library and take a look at any book on architectural drafting and design.

Let me ask you this.  If you have a regular door, a bifold door and a pocket door would you also draw all three using the same symbol?

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18.May.2016 at 14:37
Okay well firstly, the reason i am creating this model is for nothing more than a 'pretty picture' so it doesn't matter whether it is actually the correct window or not as long as it looks correct on plan and in the other views, so I suppose it makes sense to choose the correct window, but not knowing a great deal about families and after searching for hours online for a window that I thought was closely related to the one on my photos, this is what i came up with. 

Please may you answer this, 'So are you saying i am able to create these two types of windows (the ones i want on my building) that look the same as the ones i currently have but under the same type, therefore showing the same type window on plan view?' - or is that simply not how it works, ie, it would have to be a completely different window to show that window plan view design. 

Sorry if i am not being clear.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18.May.2016 at 15:11
Where did you search?

Revit is 3D is it not?  Therefore it should follow that the 3D model is the basis of all truth when 2D views are extracted.  You want to show one thing in the model and something entirely different in the plan view.  Sorry, but I don't agree with that philosophy. 

Bottom line: It's your drawing.  Create a new family that has both a double hung window and a casement window and make them look the same.  The building information attached to the two windows however has to be different otherwise when a bill of materials is generated how do you know how many of each TYPE of window will be required?

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18.May.2016 at 15:21
I understand what you are saying now. 

Basically my boss said when he looks at the casement window on plan view it doesn't look like a window to him, saying that he has no knowledge of Revit and i think he may just need to adjust, being use to one simple generic window plan design on CAD. I shall relay what you have said to my boss later on. 

I appreciate you're help John.

Thanks

Max

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18.May.2016 at 15:28
You never said where you searched.  Maybe its different in the UK but I searched three different US manufacturers and each one of them make available 3D blocks specifically for use in REVIT and they do it by type of window.

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic