CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 9224
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCAD Software Advice Required...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SDCR View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD and Civil 3D (various releases)
Direct Link To This Post Topic: CAD Software Advice Required...
    Posted: 27.May.2016 at 08:35
Hi,

I have a friend who is going travelling for ten months and wishes to learn how to use a CAD package while he's away.  I've shown him the rudiments of AutoCAD, but he doesn't have a copy, and is only taking a fairly basic laptop with him anyway.

Can anyone here recommend a piece of CAD software which is:

- similar to AutoCAD in terms of the content, i.e., layers, blocks, paperspace vs. modelspace, etc.;
- preferably similar to AutoCAD in terms of user interface;
- available online to download;
- free, or available as an evaluation or student copy;
- has a help file or manual available online (even if it's not written by the software author);
- preferably has tutorials available; and
- will run with a Celeron processor with 4GB of RAM (sorry - they're all the details I have).

3D capability would be useful, but is not necessary.

Sorry for the fairly vague post.  I only use CAD professionally, and have never had to worry about which software to choose - I just use the packages provided!

He's leaving next Wednesday, so a quick response would be appreciated.

Thanks, and regards,

Sam.
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27.May.2016 at 11:33
He could always download the strictly 2D CAD program called DraftSight by Dessault Systemes the makers of Solidworks.  It is an AutoCAD clone and FREE.  There is even a FREE guide to the program, online tutorials and a user forum.  
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

SDCR View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD and Civil 3D (various releases)
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27.May.2016 at 11:35
Thanks, John - a colleague suggested that, but their website suggests that a minimum Pentium chip is required, and my friend only has a Celeron processor.  Do you think it might run on this (even if it's slow)?  I'm willing to try it out...

Thanks again,

Sam.
Robert_D View Drop Down

Using: BricsCAD v21, AutoCAD2006
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27.May.2016 at 15:56
I do a LOT of long distance flight commuting and have found my netbook (w/ it’s Intel Atom processor) most convenient.
Although I cannot comment on DraftSight, I find that I can run Bricscad on it without issues.
Handsome View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD, Revit, Draftsight
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02.Jun.2016 at 12:48
Another vote for DraftSight. I run it happily on a tablet PC which has a 1.4GHz Atom CPU, 2GB of RAM and has a 10" screen. It is very much a facsimile of ACAD, commands are near enough the same, has a block editor and can handle ACAD files with ease plus it uses the dwg file format.

And best of all it is free!

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic