CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 19470
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAUTO CAD LOW VOLTAGE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
zarielb View Drop Down

Using: Inventor 2012, Auto cad 2015
Direct Link To This Post Topic: AUTO CAD LOW VOLTAGE
    Posted: 27.Jun.2016 at 01:26
Hello hope everyone is having a great day!

Wanted some advice and help please. I'm wanting to get in to learning how to do low voltage residential drawings. I mainly need help understanding how to know where things go for example receptacles outlets, switches, how to use fixture schedules and things like that. Whats the best way to learn more? I have experience in architectural cad and doing mechanical/3d drawings on cad. I have also done a few low voltage installations my self running cat 5 wire,hanging tvs, installing dimmers and switches and thermostats. I have done a few basic floor plans and things like that but want to get more into low voltage drawings. Can anyone stare me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance for the help!
zarielb
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27.Jun.2016 at 14:50
Have you looked at any books re: residential electrical wiring?  You'll also have to look at the national electrical code as well.  Both can be found in your local library, online, or at one of the big box stores like Lowe's or Home Depot.

Edited by John Connor - 27.Jun.2016 at 14:51
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

zarielb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27.Jun.2016 at 22:00
Thats not a bad idea i will go purchase a book today. 

Is there anyone on here that doe low voltage cad? 
zarielb

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27.Jun.2016 at 23:49
As it turns out I was wrong.  Low voltage wiring is electrical wiring and trim that does not carry the same current as the power outlets, fixtures and switches.  None-the-less I'm sure you can find a book regarding the subject or just do a simple Internet search.  Should be plenty of information out there.

Here's a link....

http://www.buildmyowncabin.com/electrical/low-voltage-wiring.html

Here's another link...

http://www.summittechs.com/images/Low%20Voltage%20Guide.pdf

I found several more without much effort.  Give it a try.

Edited by John Connor - 28.Jun.2016 at 00:02
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

zarielb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28.Jun.2016 at 03:13
DO YOU SUGEST LEARNIGN AUTO CAD MEP?
zarielb

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28.Jun.2016 at 11:34
Originally posted by zarielb zarielb wrote:

DO YOU SUGEST LEARNIGN AUTO CAD MEP?

1. This thread is about low voltage systems and AutoCAD.  Why are you trying to hijack it?

2. Who is the question directed towards?

3. In what post above was AutoCAD MEP mentioned?

It seems there are people here who have no comprehension of how websites like this function.

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

zarielb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28.Jun.2016 at 16:49
Not trying to hi jack just asking for help.. 

I though AUTO CAD MEP might be better to do low voltage. 

If im not using the forum correct please tell me how so i dont upset anyone. 
zarielb

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28.Jun.2016 at 18:00
Your question was strangely worded.  I thought you got lost and stumbled in.  Anyway, I wouldn't have any reason to suggest learning AutoCAD MEP as I don't use the program and certainly the OP wasn't suggesting it either.  What do you know about low voltage systems that might add to the discussion?

Edited by John Connor - 28.Jun.2016 at 18:01

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Ski_Me View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2016, MEP 2012
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19.Oct.2016 at 19:18
I know this post is a few months old but I thought I would chime in here.  Clearly the OP is discussing residential electrical which is not normally done in MEP or ACADE.  Most of time you get plans that show the locations of outlets and panels but that's about it.  Bigger jobs like commercial and industrial will use MEP or ACADE because they need to know the size of the pipe for the wire, the size of the wire and the load of the circuit.  Also manufactures will create content for their products that the software can use to help the designer.  Now when it comes to low voltage which is anything that is not 110 Volts or higher AutoCAD does not support a platform for.  In other words there is no content in AutoCAD that you can use for low voltage systems.  Do not buy or even bother to learn MEP, it is expensive and the learning curve to use the program is rather steep.  You need a good working knowledge of AutoCAD to even start to grasp the concept of it MEP or ACADE.  If you want to design low voltage systems then stick with plain old AutoCAD your better off.  I design fire alarm systems so I know what I'm talking about here.

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic