CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 3538
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBasic Dimensions and Spacing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
passman86 View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2013, Solidworks 2016
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Basic Dimensions and Spacing
    Posted: 11.Jul.2016 at 11:14
Hi There Folks,

I have just registered on here as I have come back to AutoCAD after many years away. Last time I used it it was on AutoCAD 1997 and R14. Since then I have mainly used Solidworks through my university and subsequent work positions. 

I have just changed jobs and I am now back in the world of 2D drawings, using AutoCAD 2013. I have remembered a decent amount of stuff, enough to get me through the drawings that I am currently working on. But I have one simple question that will make me look like a bit if a dunce to all of you experts.

In Solidworks, I was able to draw a random box or circle and then dimension it to the size I wanted after I had already placed the shape. I know I can dimension the size of these shapes as I draw them in AutoCAD, so that's OK. But my question comes when I want to add the positions of these items relative to other parts of the drawing. For example, if I am drawing a simple fixing plate with 4 holes, at the moment I am offsetting the outer edges of the plate to get the positions of the hole centres and then drawing the holes on top of these. Is there no way to use the Solidworks method of randomly placing them, and then dimensioning them afterwards? Another is, I was drawing some armco barriers around the edge of a building. I drew the basic outline, but didn't draw it in position. I was hoping I could dimension the barrier to the edge of the building outline I had already done, but the only dimensions I used simply stated the distance they were away, and it did not let me modify the size to what I wanted.

At the moment, I am simply offsetting from items I have already drawn and then using the Trim/Extend functions to get what I need. To me, this feels like I am doing it the long winded way, but it just may be that I am too used to the Solidworks way of doing things.

Sorry if this makes no sense. 

Edited by passman86 - 11.Jul.2016 at 11:15
philippe JOSEPH View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD Mechanical 2017
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11.Jul.2016 at 13:28
Hello passman86, if you were happy with your Solidworks then I'm afraid you won't be happy with AutoCAD unless you use parametric constrain ( only available in 2D ).
When you use parametric constrain you won't get the good messages to know if you are or not "over constrained".
Maybe Inventor is your answer.
On the other hand if you know where to go AutoCAD will be enough.
Hope this is not a bad answer for you but I'm using ( now ) AutoCAD for methods not for conception.
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14.Jul.2016 at 12:10
Is there no way to use the Solidworks method of randomly placing them, and then dimensioning them afterwards?

Using plain AutoCAD the answer is "no".  You could however do it using Fusion 360.
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic