CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 8356
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Orleans Saints and Data Visualization

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AliveInTheLab View Drop Down
RSS robots
RSS robots

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Orleans Saints and Data Visualization
    Posted: 16.Sep.2016 at 04:00

It's Friday, so here's a non-work-related blog posting.

I grew up in New Orleans, so I have been a Saints fan since 1967 when the team was founded. For international It's Alive in the Lab readers, the New Orleans Saints are the professional American football team from my old home town. This year, the team is competing in its 50th season. When they started, they were a really bad team. For a brief period, they were really good and actually won the Super Bowl for the 2009-2010 season. Since there's been a mix of good and bad, I wondered how many times they have had a winning season.

I found the win/loss/tie information on Wikipedia and made a chart so I could visualize the data.

Saints

A side-effect of this graph os that you can see that the Saints haven't had a game end in a tie since 1973. This is much less likely to happen today since games can be extended up to 15 minutes in an attempt to break ties at the end of regulation. Though this graph leveraged the Saints gold and black uniform colors, it was not easy to tell how many winning seasons they have had.

So I decided to try graphing the data another way.

Saints3

That made it pretty obvious, but then I was curious if maybe an infographic would be the way to go:

Infographic
Enlarge

Actually, the best approach is probably to do a direct comparison.

Saints5

Unlike the second graph, this one has more information as you can infer how many games there were in a season. You can see that the schedule was expannded from 14 games to 16 games in 1978, and that there were shortened seasons in 1982 and 1987.

I look forward to a winning season, but they lost their opening game to the Oakland Raiders, my current home team, so if I were a betting man, based on what I see in this data, it's not looking so good.

Charts are alive in the lab.

Go to the original post...

It's Alive in ihe Lab - Autodesk Labs blog by Scott Sheppard

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic