CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 8562
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVisionael to ACAD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JGprecise19 View Drop Down

Using: AutoCad
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Visionael to ACAD
    Posted: 21.Sep.2016 at 19:03
I am new to this forum, and may not have the etiquette down correctly.  If this post needs to be redirected let me know.

I am currently trying to get some files off of a HP visualize workstation C360.  The software it is running is Visionael 8.0.  Both of these systems are way before my time and may take a "good ol' boy" in order to have any idea of what I am talking about.

I am unfamiliar with Visionael but I know it exports to .DXF and .HPGL.  I have AutoCAD 2013 and I am trying to transfer as many files as I can over before the system crashes.  

Is the best/only solution to transfer as DXF and then go through line by line and change layers.  Perhaps I can find a forum about DXF transfer that will help me if this is the case.

Thank you,

JG
JG BSME
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21.Sep.2016 at 19:47
Do a "save as" to the DXF file format.  Open in AutoCAD then save.

Now, what's this about changing layers?  When you bring the drawing into AutoCAD the existing layers (linetype, color and all) should come along for the ride.

Edited by John Connor - 21.Sep.2016 at 19:52
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21.Sep.2016 at 20:11
I will check into this.  I guess I lose blocks, as they are all converted to simple lines, but that is not a terrible issue.  If a Save As trick will work, then maybe my issue is not so terrible.  

I will get back to you once I have checked.  I am waiting on the "Die Maker" add on (ACAD) from IT.. Apparently an IT ticket takes 2 days to get to and may take 3 days to fulfill what I need.. Ouch

Thank you
JG BSME

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21.Sep.2016 at 20:18
Don't know where you are getting your information from but from a quick test of a drawing created in a non-AutoDesk CAD program, saved as a DXF then brought into AutoCAD the block that was contained within came in as a block not a bunch of separate lines.
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22.Sep.2016 at 15:42
Well I am thankful for your time.  For some reason the boss thinks it will be too tedious of a task.  I am not sure what the issue is, but the Visionael is in his office.  I have tried to prod the situation a few times explaining what you have told me, and he is hesitant.  

I appreciate your time anyways, and maybe someday I can transfer some of the files over.  Maybe when he is on break, I will go in there James Bond style.

Thanks again
JG BSME

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22.Sep.2016 at 19:41
The task could be automated by using a script to batch process an entire folder of drawings.  Tell your boss to take off his old man thinking cap as it is affecting his reasoning.

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

overloaded_IT View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2013
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23.Oct.2016 at 22:13
Hi there ... I'm the lazy IT guy JG is referring to Clap - actually ... more overworked than anything at the moment but, I'll live ...

Mr. Connor - I have been hunting for someone to write exactly the script you speak of for the very challenge JG is speaking of.  

Are you offering to write the script by chance ?  That would actually solve this whole problem, and help to free up time to get to some of this tickets JG is referring to ... in fact - I would be willing to pay for a successful script that accomplishes the challenge here.... so..... challenge accepted????? 

Anxiously waiting .... Wink

-overloaded_IT aka - Jeremy
EFT-ADMIN

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24.Oct.2016 at 11:23
Not really.  I have enough to do already thanks.

Maybe this will help get you started.  It's quoted from Ellen Finkelstein's website.

Edited by John Connor - 24.Oct.2016 at 13:03

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24.Oct.2016 at 13:46
Take a look at Lee Mac's Script Writer.

http://www.lee-mac.com/scriptwriter.html

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic