CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 8023
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedscale object to specific inch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tbatson44 View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD electrical 2017
Direct Link To This Post Topic: scale object to specific inch
    Posted: 07.Oct.2016 at 23:02
Hello,

I am fairly new to AutoCAD electrical 2017, well this forum as well although I have used for help before.  My issues is with certain panels I am trying to scale.  I uploaded a drawing that was just a general drawing of many different sizes and I have to scale it to be equal to my application.  I have my scale set to inches.  I created a symbol out of the bunch of lines that were imported.  My issues is, I have to do plenty of these and don't want to keep using the Linear function from the home tab and moving lines individually because it's taking forever. 

I am wondering if anyone knows a way that I can scale the symbol I created and type in my dimensions for it to scale properly.  Example, this panel is going to be 30x24x10, is there a way I can type in those dimensions and scale it properly?

Thank you.
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08.Oct.2016 at 11:47
You explanation is confusing.  Are you drawing an electrical cabinet?  Is the drawing 2D or 3D?

Typically "symbols" have no scale as they are just graphical representations of objects.

Will you be utilizing a paper space layout along with one or more viewports?

Where is this uploaded drawing?  What did you name it?
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

tbatson44 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10.Oct.2016 at 14:36
Sorry for the delayed response, i thought I would receive an email when there was something.  I am drawing a control cabinet in model space (2D), I have a standard template from the manufacturer.  This template is not exact for any of their cabinets, just a drawing.  In model space, I was hoping to covert it to a symbol and then use that symbol for all the different size by scaling.  Using SCALE, the x and y increase or decrease proportionally, however I would need my x axis to increase seperately than my y axis (only in 2D).  

I'm hoping I can explain a little better, but with that 1 symbol I was hoping there were tricks or some feature in order to use that 1 symbol and specify that I need it to be a certain Height x Width  so I don't have to break the symbol or drawing and extend each side out manually every time I need a different size.   

Also, I will be using a layout tab with viewports, but mostly to show detailed drawings of each section of the cabinet.  Right now I was breaking the symbol, using the Linear function to outline the height and width and the moving the bottom half of the cabinet down and the right side of the cabinet out to be about equal to correct Height x Width.  

Thank you for the reply with additional questions, I hope this is a little better of an explanation of what I would like to do vs. what I am currently doing.

Kent Cooper View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2020, 2023
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10.Oct.2016 at 14:48
Does this drawing consist of only a rectangular outline?  If so, I would make a Block that's 1 drawing unit square, and you can Insert it using X and Y scale factors of the width and height for each instance.
If it has internal content in addition to just an outline, you could do the same if you don't need the exact proportions of the internal content to be precise for every size.  Otherwise, it sounds like a job for a dynamic Block.  Read up on those in Help, or Search for tutorials and videos about making them.
tbatson44 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10.Oct.2016 at 14:53
tbatson44 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10.Oct.2016 at 14:56
"If so, I would make a Block that's 1 drawing unit square, and you can Insert it using X and Y scale factors of the width and height for each instance."

I have never used this function, but seems like it might work.  After my meeting this morning I will try to see about doing that.  Thank you for the tip.  The above drawing is one side of what I'm trying to do, I will have a front and a side, but for each side I have to manually scale.  I will try your recommendation Kent.  Thank you!
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10.Oct.2016 at 16:39
I would suggest a dynamic block not a regular block.  Why?  Because as you scale the block upon insert it will not only affect the size of the cabinet but the bolts as well and you'll end up with non-standard size bolts/nuts.  
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic