CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 16175
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedChanging computer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dolau View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Using: autocad LT2023
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing computer
    Posted: 09.Oct.2016 at 18:23
I want to move my single licence to a new computer.

New computer uses windows 10 which was a palaver to say the least- apparently OK to upgrade from windows 8 to 10 with the AutoCAD LT2017 installation you already have running but direct on to a windows 10 machine requires you to copy the AutoCAD files on to your machine and start it up from there

I got that far and am currently running on the 30 day trial to make sure it all works before I shut the old AutoCAD machine down and move the licence.

I have my serial number and product code from my original installation but the new machine will not accept them- presumably because I am a single seat licence and cant run on two machines.

Anyone done this and can point (in words of one or less syllables) how to move my licence from one machine to another without losing production time?

Any advice gratefully received .... it was all so much easier when I had the benefit of an IT department to do all this for me but much prefer working for myself

Cheers
Andrew
Robert_D View Drop Down

Using: BricsCAD v21, AutoCAD2006
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09.Oct.2016 at 19:14
Check out AutoCAD License Transfer Utility:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/installation-activation-licensing/manage-licensing/transfer-licenses/license-transfer-utility/online-transfer-using-ltu#How%20to%20Export%20Your%20License?utm_source=MASE&utm_medium=ILAR&utm_campaign=BAA%20Referrals%20from%20ILAR
dolau View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10.Oct.2016 at 10:33
Thanks for that

I have looked through the guide and watched the transfer video and it seems that I must load the software with the same serial number - I guess from my manage account logged in page on Autodesk- but elsewhere I was recommended to download the software into my new Windows 10 machine directly as a new product and load it from the directory as currently you cant (or mine wont) load directly from my 'my products' screen and it falls over while uploading the software

I tried loading directly from my account five or six times and it fell over but loading as a product on the 30 day trial worked- there seems to be something strange here but I don't understand the difference in software loading protocols between the two.

Apparently- upgrading from windows 8 to 10 on a machine with AutoCAD on is fine as NET 4.5 is installed but Windows 10 comes with NET4.6 and Autocad hasn't caught up yet

When trying to register the new software on my new machine directly (as with a second machine) it wouldn't accept the serial number and product code from my first installation so currently running on the 30 day trial- presumably the new installation has its own serial number?

Also confused by the use on two computers (which would be nice) as the description is for transferring your licence away from your current machine on to a new one

Scared to do that and be left with no autocad for a while in the middle of a project but my old machine is falling over and needs to be replaced

Any help greatly appreciated
Andrew
Robert_D View Drop Down

Using: BricsCAD v21, AutoCAD2006
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10.Oct.2016 at 15:42
You "should" be able to install on a second computer, adhering to EULA:
1. Stand-alone (Individual) or Single-user License. If the License Identification identifies the License Type as “Stand-alone”, “Individual" or “Single-user”, then Licensee may Install a single primary copy of the specific release of the Licensed Materials designated in the applicable License Identification on one (1) Computer, on a Stand-alone Basis, and permit Access to such primary copy of the Licensed Materials solely by Licensee’s Personnel, and solely for Licensee’s Internal Business Needs. Licensee may also Install a single additional copy of such Licensed Materials on one (1) additional Computer, on a Stand-alone Basis; provided that (i) such additional copy of the Licensed Materials is Accessed solely by the same person as the primary copy; (ii) such person is Licensee (if Licensee is an individual) or an employee of Licensee; (iii) such person Accesses the additional copy solely to perform work while away from that person’s usual work location and solely for Licensee’s Internal Business Needs; and (iv) the primary and additional copies are not Accessed at the same time. Stand-alone (Individual) or Single-user License is for a perpetual term, except as otherwise provided in this Agreement.
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10.Oct.2016 at 16:41
(iii) is where technically he could get tripped up as both computers are in the same location.  The license transfer utility is the best option.
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

dolau View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10.Oct.2016 at 21:12
Thanks guys

I am happy to relinquish my laptop for the new PC and use on one computer

Having downloaded the software through Autocad as a 30 day trial as I was directed to do on the Autodesk forum- it is the serial number that I am concerned about- did that come with one of its own? as the direction on Autodesk is to transfer the licence to a copy with the same serial number- cant do that as Autodesk wont load up on Windows 10 in the standard way

Just concerned that I unload the licence off my laptop and then it wont transfer to the new machine and I am left in limbo in the middle of a design project

I have 30 (29 now) days on the free trail on my new PC and perhaps I will wait a few days until it is less hectic

Andrew

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12.Oct.2016 at 12:35
No, the trial does not come with its own serial number or product number.

Are you on Subscription?  Yes or No?

If not, did you access the License Transfer Utility as per the link Robert_D posted previously?  Yes or No?

If the answer is Yes then follow the instructions for first exporting your license from the old computer followed by importing the license on your new computer.

If the answer is No then what is the problem?  Why haven't you done so?  Are you running a pirated copy of AutoCAD?

The LTU is there to ensure your license doesn't get lost while you switch computers.  That's why AutoDesk created the utility and it ensures that all the pertinent information is entered correctly.

Edited by John Connor - 12.Oct.2016 at 13:01
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

dolau View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12.Oct.2016 at 12:49
Thank you John,

It is a licensed copy that I was trying to move to my new computer and my initial problem was Windows 10 which apparently wont allow you to load in the software directly from 'my account' but will for some strange reason allow you to load it up as a 30 day trial. Something to do with NET 4.6 and NET 4.5 compatibility which at my age means absolutely nothing

I didnt want to use the LTU until I had a working copy of LT on my new machine- for obvious reasons

My problem with the serial number input was my own fault after intervention by Autodesk support - they pointed out that what I was inputting as 11 was in fact I1 and all is now well with the world

I have LT running on my new machine and my old laptop under licence- although I will remove it from my laptop as it just wasnt up to the job- hence the new computer

Thank you all for your help
Andrew

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12.Oct.2016 at 13:01
Good to hear you got the problem resolved.  Thanks for the update.

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic