CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 8605
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMIRROR command versus Scaling on Attributes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lee.J.Baxter View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2012
Direct Link To This Post Topic: MIRROR command versus Scaling on Attributes
    Posted: 02.Dec.2016 at 12:52
I'm producing a program that automates the production of schematics required for our shop floor, and I've created a .DXF file full of blocks that the program will use to construct them.  There are some blocks that have attributes attached to them to annotate the schematics.

The schematics are representations of rail, and there's several blocks that will be used at either end, where one end will use a mirrored instance of the block.  These blocks have text annotation that needs to be right-aligned at the left end of the rail, and left-aligned at the right end of the rail.

Now, if I insert one of these blocks and mirror it in the X axis using the MIRROR command, the block is mirrored as required, and the text is aligned to the opposite side; in the properties area, the "Scale X" property is "-1", which makes sense!  However, if I insert the block and set the "Scale X" to "-1", the block is mirrored but the text keeps its alignment (i.e. its location mirrors, but its alignment doesn't)!

So my question is, what else is the MIRROR command doing to the block apart from setting its scale to -1? The reason I ask this is because I think my program is going to have to mirror the blocks by setting the scale to -1, so I need to know how to make this behave correctly.

Thanks in advance!
Vladimir Michl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Arkance Systems CZ

Using: Autodesk software
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02.Dec.2016 at 14:02
Vladimir Michl (moderator)
Arkance Systems - arkance-systems.cz - Autodesk reseller
Lee.J.Baxter View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2012
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02.Dec.2016 at 14:25
Thankyou, I'll see if this will work in a couple of days when I have access to AutoCAD at work!

I knew that I had to set my attributes to multiline (which I've already done).  It's just puzzling how the MIRROR command flips the alignment of the attributes, but setting the scale to -1 doesn't; I guess the MIRROR command must do more than simply set the scale to -1!

If anybody's interested (and to add further information about my problem), I'm using .NETDXF to actually write to the DXF files from my program (which is written in C#).

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic