CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 7970
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDumping @Original Stitch - On to @MTailor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AliveInTheLab View Drop Down
RSS robots
RSS robots

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dumping @Original Stitch - On to @MTailor
    Posted: 05.Dec.2016 at 04:00

As I have mentioned before, Autodesk believes that the future of making involves three fundamental changes:

• Products themselves will be smarter with enablements via the internet of things.
  • Processes will move towards automation via robots and greater efficiency via techniques like additive manufacturing.
  • Consumer demand will shift toward bespoke creations instead of generic off-the-shelf goods.

With this in mind, I ordered a custom-made shirt from Original Stitch and have been chronicling my experience:

Although a reply to my last email to Original Stitch Customer Service Representative, Glenn Foster, let me know that the 50% discount offer is still available, since I am out of pocket with nothing to show for it but two shirts that do not fit, I have decided to cut my losses and move on to MTailor. I feel very safe in my decision. Check out the MTailor website:

Policy

They can have such a policy because MTailor has a smartphone app that takes the measurements. This has the potential to remove human error from the process as in my Original Stitch case, using the wrong measuring tool or not measuring my sleeve length in the non-industry-standard way that Original Stitch requires.

1. The first step is to download the free MTailor app for my iPhone,

2016-11-29 11.14.54

2. I selected Shirts as compared to Pants or Suits.

2016-11-29 11.18.40

MTailor sells more than just tailor-made shirts. I do need a new suit for a wedding, so maybe I will be back.

3. I picked a style I liked.

2016-11-29 11.19.19

4. I picked a collar I liked.

2016-11-29 11.19.32

5. I picked a sleeve cuff that I liked.

2016-11-29 11.19.49

For the collar and cuff, I went with the recommendation since they are the experts. I am just the consumer.

6. I was all set and could see the price.

2016-11-29 11.21.52

7. The checkout step starts the sizing process.

2016-11-29 18.32.54

The first step is to make sure you are wearing form-fitting clothes. I stripped down to an Under Armour shirt and my underwear.

8. Here's how it works. You start by placing your phone on the floor. You stand 10-feet away in a prescribed position with your arms up and legs apart. You position yourself using an outline in the frame. After a 3-2-1 count down, you spin 360 degrees around while your phone videos you. You then answer a few questions.

2016-11-29 18.40.48

Since I was in my underwear, I removed part of the image for this blog post. The MTailor app actually captures two images: one with me and one without. The app can compare the two and deduce my geometry from the difference. An MTailor expert reviews my video for accuracy, and then it is deleted.

9. That was all there was to it. The whole process took about 5 minutes.

2016-11-29 18.43.25

10. I got a receipt email message to confirm my purchase.

Receipt

Another tenant of the Autodesk future of making things is that computers and humans will work more in partnership. Let's see if my iPhone, which is basically a handheld computer, is great as my measuring buddy. MTailor contends that their process is 20% more accurate than human measurement. It certainly has the potential to be better than my disaster with Original Stitch. I'll share my result when I receive the shirt. My son ordered 2 shirts, so we'll have 3 data points.

Tailoring is alive in the lab.

Go to the original post...

It's Alive in ihe Lab - Autodesk Labs blog by Scott Sheppard

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic