CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 9984
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedViewbase

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bobenten View Drop Down

Using: Autocad 2010
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Viewbase
    Posted: 12.Dec.2016 at 23:13
I use AutoCad 2014.
I want to use "ViewBase" to get 2D views of my 3D-model.
In layout ( with no Viewport) I click "ViewBase", I click "from modelspace" and all that happens is that I get: "Select object".
What is wrong?

Bosse
philippe JOSEPH View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD Mechanical 2017
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13.Dec.2016 at 07:46
Hello bobenten, this command is not available from the model space but from the paper space and I you will have to open a viewport to get your "viewbase" ( there is an error message that will explain it to you ).
I personally use FLATSHOT with the good viewpoint that I want from the model space, explode the blocks, use QSELECT to replace the lines in the good layers and do an OVERKILL on each layer.
Eventually, see the topics here under showing various subjects about viewbase ( Tip 8518 ) .

Edited by philippe JOSEPH - 13.Dec.2016 at 07:51
bobenten View Drop Down

Using: Autocad 2010
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13.Dec.2016 at 11:18
Thank you for answer.

I am sorry not being clear in my explanation.
I am in paperspace (Layout 1 and I have deleted the viewport).
Then I click viewbase and click from modelspace. Now I had hoped for the baseview, but get the; "select object".

Best regards

Bosse
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13.Dec.2016 at 12:17
There is no sense discussing the merits of using FLATSHOT if a person is inquiring about VIEWBASE.

In AutoCAD 2014 you can be in model space and still invoke the VIEWBASE command.  When you do you'll see the following displayed at the command line:

Select objects or [Entire model] <Entire model>: Enter new or existing layout name to make current or [?] <Layout1>: layout 1.

Try it and let us know what happens.  It would also help if you either upload a copy of your drawing to this website or to a file sharing website like DropBox and post a link to the file here so we can see exactly what you are working with.  Got it?  Good.  Now go do it.

Update.  In a quick test of the method described above I had no problem executing the VIEWBASE command while in model space.  Just pay attention to what AutoCAD is asking on the command line and you should be fine.

Edited by John Connor - 13.Dec.2016 at 13:24
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13.Dec.2016 at 13:30
Hello bobenten and John, I'm working with AutoCAD Mechanical 2012 and have tried the command in both model and layout space but if you don't have any viewport you cannot get any viewbase.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13.Dec.2016 at 14:05
I stated in my last post that I actually tested using VIEWBASE while in model space and it DID work IF you pay attention to what is being asked at the command line.  So, either Mech 2012 is incapable due to its age or you did not pay attention to the command line and thus it appeared the command failed.

F.Y.I.

It has been independently confirmed that VIEWBASE appears not to work in AutoCAD 2014 if the drawing contains drawing views created with 2015.

There is also a know problem using AutoCAD 2014 and invoking the VIEWBASE command if the program is being run on a computer using Windows 8.  There is a hotfix for this available at the AutoDesk website.  The OP has not stated what version of Windows is being used.

Edited by John Connor - 13.Dec.2016 at 14:10
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13.Dec.2016 at 15:08
Hello John, I did read the error message and it says :
cette commande n'est pas prise en charge dans l'espace objet.
that command is not "taken in charge" ( available ) in the object space.
No problems in the layout space provide you have a viewport.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13.Dec.2016 at 15:26
Then the problem is you are using an older version of an AutoCAD vertical product.  I tested it using AutoCAD 2014 the same as the OP.  I'm comparing apples to apples while you are comparing asparagus to apples.  Big difference.

If neither of the two conditions for failure stated above apply to the OP's situation then I'd suggest doing the following.

1. Shut down AutoCAD then restart it.  Test to see if VIEWBASE works.  If it doesn't then....

2. Do a REPAIR of the installation which is NOT the same as a complete uninstall/reinstall.  Test to see if VIEWBASE works.

The "test" should be performed in model space first then in a layout as per the instructions found in the AutoCAD 2014 Help file under the heading "To Create Drawing Views from AutoCAD 3D Models".

Edited by John Connor - 13.Dec.2016 at 15:45

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic