CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 7118
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed3d surfaces, advanced 3d, 3d modeling, 3d general

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
eaaronf01 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Using: Autocad 2017
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3d surfaces, advanced 3d, 3d modeling, 3d general
    Posted: 17.Jan.2017 at 01:02
HELLO ALL YOU CAD LOVERS,

I HAVE BEEN USING AUTOCAD FOR 20+ YEARS, 2D AND 3D, BUT MY 3D ABILITIES ARE VERY LIMITED TO, REGION, EXTRUDE, UNION, SLICE, SUBTRACT, AND A COUPLE MORE SIMPLE COMMANDS.  ALL THESE YEARS THESE BASIC COMMANDS HAVE SUITED ME WELL, BUT I KNOW I NEED TO LEARN SOME MORE, LIKE SURFACE.......

HERE IS MY OBJECTIVE.  I AM DESIGNING THIS CIGAR POST ASHTRAY STAND, AND I NEED TO PUT A BAND AROUND THE CIGAR.  IN 2D THE BAND LOOKS LIKE THIS ( THE SECOND  PICTURE) THE CIGAR IS 6 CENTIMETERS IN DIAMETER, BUT DIMENSIONS AREN'T IMPORTANT AT THE MOMENT.  I WANT THIS BAND TO GO AROUND A 3D ROD WHICH REPRESENTS THE CIGAR.  FROM A SIDE VIEW I WANT THE BAND TO BE THICK, LIKE SAY 1 MILLIMETER. 

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE SO FAR, AS YOU CAN SEE THE ELLIPSE PART OF THE BAND SHOULD BE SMOOTH FLOWING AROUND THE CIGAR WITH THE REST OF THE BAND

THE GRAPHIC ON THE BAND IS NOT IMPORTANT AT THIS POINT, ALL I WANT TO DO IS PUT A SMOOTH FLOWING BAND AROUND THE CIGAR, WITH THICKNESS AS LIKE IN MY SAMPLES
WHO OUT THERE CAN SHOW ME THE BEST AND EASIEST WAY TO ACHIEVE THIS.

THANK YOU

ERICLOL

Edited by eaaronf01 - 17.Jan.2017 at 01:28
Eric Foster
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17.Jan.2017 at 11:32
Is other words you want the elliptical portion of the band to fit the curve of the cigar.  Is that correct?
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17.Jan.2017 at 11:58
Is this kind of what you had in mind?  Forget for the moment that we're talking about a cigar band.  The following is for demonstration purposes only.

"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17.Jan.2017 at 12:02
Another view.

The basic concept was based upon extruding an ellipse then slicing off the front and back.  In the examples shown I did not slice off the front so it was flush with the band.  You however would.

Edited by John Connor - 17.Jan.2017 at 12:22

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

eaaronf01 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17.Jan.2017 at 12:21
 YES, THAT IS PRETTY GOOD!!  THE ELLIPTICAL PORTION DOESN'T HAVE TO BE QUITE SO THICK, BUT THE WAY THAT THE BAND FOLLOWS THE CURVE AROUND THE POST IS EXACTLY WHAT I AM AFTER.  WHAT COMMANDS DO YOU USE TO DO THIS?  IM SURE IF I PLAYED AROUND WITH IT LONG ENOUGH AND WITH TRIAL AND ERROR I COULD PROBABLY ACHIEVE IT, BUT KNOWING AUTOCAD, THERE IS A VERY SIMPLE WAY TO DO THIS, AM I RIGHT?

SO HOW DID YOU DO IT?  I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE THE ENLIGHTENMENT, IF YOU WOULDN'T MIND.

THANK YOU

ERIC
Eric Foster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17.Jan.2017 at 12:29
Yes, my band is thick but like I previously said this was meant for demonstration purposes only.  Your results may vary.

Here is what the band looks like with the elliptical portion cut flush with the band.

I used the SLICE command with the Surface option.  An extruded arc was my slicing surface for the front.

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

eaaronf01 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17.Jan.2017 at 12:50
YES!!!

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT?  I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO SLICE WITH SURFACE OPTION.  IN FACT, I HAVE NEVER USED THE SURFACE COMMAND, OR EVEN WORKED WITH SURFACES AT ALL  AND I DID NOT KNOW YOU COULD SLICE ON A CURVE

Eric Foster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17.Jan.2017 at 13:00
Show me where I said I used a command called SURFACE.  I didn't.  I said I used the SLICE command which if you look at the command line has the following options.

Specify start point of slicing plane or [planar Object/Surface/Zaxis/View/XY/YZ/ZX/3points] <3points>:

You can "slice on a curve" by extruding an arc.  A line or an arc that is extruded YIELDS a surface.  The surface is an object that can be used to slice another surface or a solid.

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17.Jan.2017 at 13:08
A simple demonstration.  The red arrow is pointing to the arc that ends up getting extruded.  Visual style = 2Dwireframe.

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17.Jan.2017 at 13:11
Same demonstration only this time I changed the color of the arc to green and the visual style to conceptual.

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic