CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 10330
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCAD Manager Role

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GemmaJohns2017 View Drop Down

Using: autocad 2015
Direct Link To This Post Topic: CAD Manager Role
    Posted: 25.Jan.2017 at 14:21
Hi guys,

I have been promoted to CAD Manager and was needing some help!
I have to be obsessed with CAD!

One of my Tasks has been to write a CAD manual, putting procedures in place. Can anyone tell me their CAD procedures in the work place, possibly give me tips on how to write my CAD Manual, what have people done to make sure employees follow these standards?!

does anyone also know what the best site to use is for learning the ins and outs of cad along with short typos to process commands in cad

all help would be much appreciated!

thanks,
Gemma
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.Jan.2017 at 14:44
Check out the Cadalyst Magazine website.  They have an exclusive feature that deals entirely with CAD management.  Visit the website at...

http://www.cadalyst.com/

As for a CAD standards manual think about everything that goes into creating a drawing.  For example....

-What template(s) will be used?
-Is there a standard title block and border specific to each paper size?
-What layering conventions will be followed re: names, linetypes, colors, etc.?
-What linetypes will be used to represent different features?
-What text styles will be used?
-What symbols will be used?
-Will dimensions and text be placed in model space or in the layout?

And that's just the short list.  How general or specific do you want to be?  Keep in mind that if you have six cad techs and they each create one sheet for a project that when all the sheets are asembled into one package they all better look like they came from the same company.

Why are you inquiring about the ins and outs of learning cad?  Will you also be teaching future cad techs?  There is a website called mycadsite.com that has a number of very good tutorials and videos that would be of great use to a cad newbie.  Find it here...

http://www.we-r-here.com/cad/index.htm

BTW, what field do you work in?

Seeing that you are from the U.K. aren't there government issued standards for cad drawings already available?

OK...The standard I was referring to is named BS8888:2006 Technical Product Specifications - British Standards.  It's a 96 page document.  Perhaps it does not directly apply to the field you work in.

Edited by John Connor - 25.Jan.2017 at 15:04
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

GemmaJohns2017 View Drop Down

Using: autocad 2015
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.Jan.2017 at 15:03
Hi John,
thank you for the provided information.
I have got the CAD manual in draft format..
I will be teaching CAD techs in the near future, but its how the produce CAD drawings which is most important.
my boss has set me some goals to achieve with this, I am to be "obsessed" with CAD, I must know everything about CAD I have 3 years in the industry and only of the age of 21 (in 2 weeks) it takes years and years of learning CAD there is always something new to learn, that's how I see it anyway!
I work in the Civil Engineering industry, I am technically a CAD tech myself but have the job role of CAD Manager.
my boss also wants me to look into going on a CAD course more from the intermediate level to difficult level I would say as I know the basics of setting up drawings and layers etc.
yes there are standards issued but its not entirely what I am looking for I am also trying to look at CAD from other people perspectives you could say I am looking deeper into it than necessary but if you want to be the best of the best you must go that extra mile.
thank you for taking your time out to reply also.

kind regards
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.Jan.2017 at 15:15
Gemma: Go back and reread my previous post as I have added a couple of things.

You ask "How to produce drawings?" and I can only respond by saying "logically".  Think about how you would go about starting a drawing from scratch.  Where would you start?  What would you do first?  This may differ depending on the nature of the drawing.  Civil engineering covers a wide range of types of work.  You could be laying out a street or a highway one week then working on a site plan for an industrial park the next week followed by designing a water main the week after.  Each will require a slightly different approach.

Yes, there is always something new to learn as far as cad is concerned.  If you don't learn at least one new thing each day then you have squandered your time.  Continuing education is a must for any good cad manager.  You may find yourself in charge of "lunch and learn" sessions or asked to develop a custom lisp routine or create a dynamic block.  Your staff, if they are any good, will constantly push you to stay one step ahead of them.  You'll also have to keep up with advancements in software and I would highly recommend you at least acquaint yourself with the hardware end too.  Don't rely entirely upon your IT department to troubleshoot problems for you otherwise you'll be sitting around sitting on your hands waiting for them to show up.  Speaking of which, as CAD Manager you should try to maintain as much autonomy over your department as you possibly can.  That means you should have permission to download and install updates and service packs as well as download and test software be they add-ons to AutoCAD, an AutoCAD vertical product (ex. - Civil 3D) or even an entirely different CAD program (ex. - BricsCAD Platinum) and spec hardware too.  Lots to learn.

Edited by John Connor - 25.Jan.2017 at 19:32
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic