CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 7144
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIt's Back to Work Tomorrow after The Rock Boat XVII

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AliveInTheLab View Drop Down
RSS robots
RSS robots

Direct Link To This Post Topic: It's Back to Work Tomorrow after The Rock Boat XVII
    Posted: 15.Feb.2017 at 14:40

This year marked the 17th voyage of The Rock Boat and the 6th on which my wife and I went along for the ride. Once again we were joined by college roommate, Tim Barrios, and his wife Marie. Tim and Marie made it a family affair by bringing their son, Steven (who shares a birthday with me on May 18), Steven's fiancé, Christina, their daughter, Danielle, and her boyfriend, Taylor.

Unlike in year's past when we embarked from New Orleans, or Miami, this year's voyage began in Tampa. The Rock Boat is the world's best floating music festival. As our ship, the Norwegian Jade, made it's way to Belize and Mexico, we were entertained by a variety of concerts where there were 4 or 5 shows to choose from at almost every waking minute.

Here's are some shots from the shows.

Friday

• Francisco Vidal

pic

He (the one in the hat and glasses) and his friends were playing in the atrium as we boarded.

• Sister Hazel

pic

Songs that you may know by them include: "All for You," "Your Winter," and "Change Your Mind."

• Ben Rector

pic

Songs that you may know by him include: "Brand New," "When A Heart Breaks," and "I Like You."

• Knox Hamilton

pic

Songs that you may know by him include: "Washed Up Together," "Work It Out," and "Set It on Fire."

• Stephen Kellogg & the South West North East

pic

Songs that you may know by him include: "Always Gonna Want You (North)," "Last Man Standing (East)," and "Almost Woke You Up (West)."

Saturday

• The Sixthman Sessions

The band, Sister Hazel, started The Rock Boat. They have 5 members. The audience is considered the 6th man. This is the origin of the name of the organization that promotes the annual cruises. Norwegian Cruise Lines purchased Sixthman from Sister Hazel last year.

pic

"Sixthman Sessions is a songwriting retreat where Rock Boat artists partake in creation, collaboration, and camaraderie of composing songs. Seven artists, strangers to each other before the retreat, come together to write and record new music just for the show. The full process from the first idea to completion happens in just 4 days." [Rock Boat XVII Official Guide]

This year's artists included:

• Dustin Storm and Luke Christopher from All About A Bubble
    • Paul Pfau performing onboard with LOVESWEAT
    • Sam Burchfield performing onboard with Wrenn
    • Travis Gray from Wild Adriatic
    • Wrenn

As part of the Sing Me a Story foundation, children in need wrote stories, and artists turned them into songs. The songs are then sent back to the children. The Sixthman session group contributed one song in response to a story about a sheep that got picked up by a UFO.

• Flip Cup Contest

pic

Teams of passengers competed against the band, Gaelic Storm. The idea was to down a beer in a red Solo cup, turn the cup upside down on the edge of table, and then flip it with a finger so that it lands open side down — one full revolution. The team of Stephen, Christina, Danielle, and Taylor made it to the semi-finals before losing to the returning champions from 2 years ago.

• Ken and Drew from Sister Hazel

pic

The 2 lead singers pull extra duty and perform without the rest of the band.

• Stephen Kellogg video

pic

This 30-minute video showed that if an artist takes care of his music, the music takes care of him. He answered questions from the crowd after the screening.

• Dexter Freebish

pic

Songs that you may know by him include: "Leaving Town," "The Other Side," and "Falling Down."

• Melodime

pic

Songs that you may know by them include: "Our Time," "Paper Wings," and "Lullaby."

• Sister Hazel

pic

• Matt Nathanson

pic

Songs that you may know by him include: "Come On Get Higher," "All We Are," and "Faster."

• Gaelic Storm

pic

This is an Irish band where most of their songs are about drinking or fighting. Or both at the same time.

Sunday

• We spent the morning in Harvest Caye, Belize. Harvest Caye is an island that is basically a seven-acre white sand beach with lounge chairs. It was nice, but man-made, and it showed. Everything was almost too pristine.

pic

Sheryl went standup paddle boarding.

pic

I took the picture above from my kayak. It was nice to get off the boat and enjoy the sand.

• Red Wanting Blue

pic

The show opened with "White Snow" which is my favorite from their catalog.

• Melodime

pic

• Ben Rector

pic

• Better Than Ezra

pic

Their banter with the audience between songs certainly added to the performance. The lead vocals are not always melodic enough for my taste. For some reason, the lead singer reminds me of Adam Sandler.

• Artists of the Rock Boat present Disco Funk Inferno

pic

Bands took turns to grace the stage to cover classic songs from the 1980's with mixed results.

Monday

• We spent the morning in Costa Maya, Mexico. Costa Maya is the first Western Caribbean port designed exclusively for the cruise ship industry and is located just hours from Cancun on Mexico's southern Yucatan Peninsula.

pic

We rented dune buggies to drive through the village of Mahahual to a remote beach.

pic

pic

• Matt Nathanson

pic

In addition to being a songwriter, singer, and guitar player, he could also be a standup comic based on his on-stage banter:

"We were a late addition to The Rock Boat, so we didn't get to practice our choreography, which is what we are known for. [not true] In addition, the captain wouldn't let us bring on all of the equipment we wanted. We were going to have trampolines. [audience laughs] Hey, you don't know. We could do trampolines. And then we were going to have a goat. But none of that was possible because this is a boat."
  • Wrenn

pic

Though we did not enjoy her performance as part of the Sixthman Sessions, her stage show was actually quite good. I just might be a new fan.

• Parachute

pic

Songs that you may know by him include: "She Is Love," "Kiss Me Slowly," and "Forever and Always." The lead vocals had lots of reverb, too much reverb, too much reverb.

• All About A Bubble

pic

Songs that you may know by him include: "Lost Like Satellites," "The Sailor, The Captain," and "It Rains in My Heart." These guys were loud and their lyrics were rather youthful.

• Ben Rector

pic

This was our third time seeing him on this trip. This was a fill-in show while we waited for the next. Most of the set was the same as the previous 2 shows.

• Andy Frasco and the U.N.

pic

Songs that you may know by them include: "Good Ride," "Smoking Dope 'n' Rock 'n' Roll," and "Tie You Up." The emphasis of this performance was more on partying and less on musicianship.

• Welshly Arms

pic

Songs that you may know by them include: "Legendary," "Never Meant To Be," and "Need You Tonight." The lead guitar player plays fast and seriously. Their cover version of Rick Derringer's "Rock 'n' Roll Hoochie Koo" was the best live version that I have ever heard.

Tuesday

• Firekid

pic

Songs that you may know by them include: "Lay By Me," "Magic Mountain," and "Die for Alabama."

• Brian Fechino and Friends

pic

You have never heard of Brian Fechino; however, he has quite a following on The Rock Boat because he records and produces the Sixthman Sessions.

• Knox Hamilton

pic

• Songwriters in the Round

pic

Songwriters tell stories about what inspired the writing of a song and then play a solo acoustic version of the song.

The artists this year included:

• Will Anderson of Parachute
    • Scott Terry of Red Wanting Blue
    • Stephen Kellogg
    • Sam Getz of Welshly Arms

It is interesting to see what's inspirational. For example, a love song can start from going to coffee with a girl you secretly have a crush on even though you don't like coffee.

• Carbon Leaf

pic

Songs that you may know by them include: "Life Less Ordinary," "What About Everything?," and "The Boxer." Their set included "Silver Bells" which is my favorite from their catalog. For us military families, their performance of "The War Was In Color" was very moving.

• The Currys

pic

Songs that you may know by them include: "Come on Home," "I Will Find It," and "Hold Me Here." They were a little too folksy for my taste.

• Matt Nathanson

pic

• Sister Hazel

pic

To close out this set, almost all of the artists joined them on stage:

pic

Once again, the trip was a roaring success. People on the boat are so friendly. The artists on board are just like the people. They eat with us and attend other artists' shows among the crowd. The line between performer and fan is truly obliterated.

Music is alive in the lab.

Go to the original post...

It's Alive in ihe Lab - Autodesk Labs blog by Scott Sheppard

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic