CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 15027
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closeddim ext off

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pweeks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Using: AutoCAD 2017
Direct Link To This Post Topic: dim ext off
    Posted: 20.Apr.2017 at 17:36
Hey guys,

Sometimes when creating my associative dimensions I will come across cases where I need to turn off both of the EXT lines in the dim. I usually achieve this by going through the Properties bar and turning Ext Line 1 and 2 from ON to OFF.

Not sure if it is possible but can I create a macro or a lisp command that will allow me to turn these off?

I'm more knowledgeable in Macros so if there is a possibility through that I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20.Apr.2017 at 17:56
Why bother?  Make a copy of your dimension style and look at the Lines tab.  Place checkmarks where it says....

Supress:  __Ext Line 1   __Ext Line 2

Switch between the original and the copy for your different dimensional needs.  No programming needed.

Edited by John Connor - 20.Apr.2017 at 17:57
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

pweeks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20.Apr.2017 at 19:20
I've been becoming a fan of creating custom ribbon macro's. I can probably create a macro that will set a selection to a dim style with your suppression. Just my preference right now I guess. Thanks John

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20.Apr.2017 at 19:43
Suit yourself.  In the time it takes to click on the macro you could just as easily select a different dimstyle.
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

pweeks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20.Apr.2017 at 20:05
I'm combining your idea with mine. Creating a dim style and going to either make a macro to set selected dims to the created dim style you referenced. Or just customize my ribbon to include dim styles in the home tab. I don't know why but switching tabs is annoying to me. Your idea will be implemented John. Thanks as always. I strive to achieve your knowledge in CAD and sarcastic/witty comments. LOL

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20.Apr.2017 at 20:12
I've never uttered a witty comment in my life.

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Kent Cooper View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2020, 2023
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20.Apr.2017 at 23:07
Originally posted by pweeks pweeks wrote:

Hey guys,
.... I need to turn off both of the EXT lines in the dim. .... can I create a macro or a lisp command that will allow me to turn these off?

^c^cDIMOVERRIDE DIMSE1 ON DIMSE2 ON ;

That will leave you at the prompt to select Dimensions, as many as you want to change all at once, by any selection method(s) and options you like.  You could also make one that's self-repeating, letting you pick just one, and you would see the change immediately as you pick each one.  But then you'd have to select them all one at a time, and couldn't use Window or Crossing selection, etc.

But I agree that if you know ahead of time you want a Dimension to not show extension lines, it's probably better to set a different Style that has them suppressed, before you draw it, rather than draw it first and then turn the extension lines off after the fact.
pweeks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21.Apr.2017 at 21:22
Thanks Kent!

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic