CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 14273
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan i set AutoCAD to only allow me to edit my file

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lvjake7761 View Drop Down

Using: 2002 - 2016
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can i set AutoCAD to only allow me to edit my file
    Posted: 25.Apr.2017 at 17:32
hi there new here
i did do a search looking for an answer to my problem with no success 

my problem is in the shop where i work 
i do drawings that are saved to a server
our CnC guy and the shop foreman have access to use the files to build by
but every time they have something open that i need to update 
i have to chase them down to close a file so i can edit it

is there a way i can set a file so they can open it but not have access to edit it?
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.Apr.2017 at 17:44
If you have the file open it can be also opened by others but as "read only" which in itself doesn't prevent anyone from do a "save as" under a different name then editing it.  I think the solution to your problem is either to use AutoCAD Vault (where drawings are checked in and out) or preventing access to the drive and folder where the drawings are stored.  Another option would be to provide the CnC guy and shop foreman with PDF files instead of DWG files which they can open and print but can't readily edit.
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

lvjake7761 View Drop Down

Using: 2002 - 2016
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.Apr.2017 at 17:51
thanks for the quick responce
i see what your saying and i have considered that 
but these guys are old timers
and i cant get them to understand that just having that file open prevents me from updating it
i was hoping there would be a way to just give access but limit there ability to save

i don't have a problem with them using the files i just need to be able to update them during the day
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.Apr.2017 at 18:52
Give them access to a PDF or a DWF but not to the actual DWG file.  And don't even think of using a password because there is no way to get a drawing back if you forget the password and it is only good at preventing a drawing from being opened.  Once opened the drawing can be edited.
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic