CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 16591
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAutocad LT is read only

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BIG D View Drop Down

Using: Autocad Lite 2011
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Autocad LT is read only
    Posted: 10.May.2017 at 03:58
Hi, I am new at this forum stuff but maybe someone can help me. I have AutoCAD LT 2011 and I just purchased a new computer. The computer store installed the AutoCAD LT with the registration serial numbers etc but it is "read only". I was told that AutoCAD does not support this version any longer. Can anyone tell me what I need to do?Cry 
Thank you very much.
Diet Pepsiholic
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10.May.2017 at 11:27
What do you mean AutoCAD LT 2011 is "read only"?  Are you saying that when you open a drawing AutoCAD is telling you it is "read only"?

And yes, you are correct, AutoCAD 2011 is not supported under the latest Microsoft Windows OS.  That doesn't mean however that it can't be made to run; it will just take a bit more effort.  You aren't the only person to ever attempt to run an older version of AutoCAD using a newer OS.

Edited by John Connor - 10.May.2017 at 13:21
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

BIG D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15.May.2017 at 01:54
Hi John,
Thanks for the response. We did get it going. The old computer had the same operating system and the AutoCAD loaded fine five years ago when it was put into service.  
Diet Pepsiholic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15.May.2017 at 12:02
The OS on the new computer is the same as the OS on the old computer yet the old computer is five years old.  I guess you elected to not have Windows 10 installed on the new computer.  Is that correct?  What OS is being used?
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

BIG D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15.May.2017 at 16:01
 Hi John,
The new computer got Windows 7 installed and I do not remember why they did it. I also had BobCad a cad cam software, installed at the same time. This is the first time we bought a computer and had it set up for us almost completely. I think they used 7 to minimize the transition for me with the cad cam. The BobCad works great  but when I opened Autocad it notified me it was "read only". When I made a change I could not save it in any way. My wife suggested saving the folders (not opened) as a "save as" on a different path and that worked. On that path I can operate it as usual except I must go thru "my documents" rather than "program files". This is used only as part of my hobby shop. I am 77 years old and I build and fly rc airplanes and I am building a 1/8 scale live steam locomotive form scratch. I have a CNC milling machine and other machines. I was using AutoCAD and another CAM software long before I got the BobCad. These two did not talk to one another. My locomotive project is 95% finished and is all in AutoCAD which is why I want to keep it going. I can design a part and send it to BobCad and machine it on the CNC. Some of the locomotive files are very large and Bobcad likes smaller simple parts only to be imported. Thanks again  
Diet Pepsiholic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15.May.2017 at 16:33
Folders that are marked read only can have their attribute changed.  If you are 77 years old you should remember that from your old DOS days.

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic