CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 6690
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan't create Polylines?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Deadhorse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't create Polylines?
    Posted: 24.May.2017 at 19:35
I am using AutoCAD 2007 and am having trouble creating polylines.  I originally took a picture and opened it with Adobe Illustrator, turned it into a vector and then exploded it, this will basically trace the picture for me, then I save it in DXF format so I can open it in AutoCAD.

After opening it in AutoCAD all the lines are joined like a polyline that has been joined but to edit it I have to obviously explode it.  The problem is after exploding it it's not letting me rejoin it no matter what I try.  BTW when I use the PEDIT method the choices I can change the line to SPLINE but then I don't know how to get it to a polyline?

Tried;  
Use the region command and pick everything that you want to be joined. If they are drawn correctly, meaning all ends connected and no overlaps or extra pieces, they will be connected and you will see a message that says one loop created, or something like that.

Another way is to turn one of the lines into a polyline by using the Pedit command, then join this polyline to all the other entities. Check this by picking the polyline and moving it. If everything is connected properly, the entire thing will move together. Otherwise you can see where the pieces failed to connect properly.

Save the drawing as Autocad R12/LT2 DXF. 
Close the drawing. 
Reopen the DXF file. 
This changes the spline to a polyline. 
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.May.2017 at 11:48
So you came here to both ask a question then provide the answer?  Sweet.  Makes life so much easier.  Got any more tips or tricks to share?
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Deadhorse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.May.2017 at 13:12
Wow Sheldon, never expected a response of that sarcastic nature.  BTW what part of this did you not understand?  "The problem is after exploding it it's not letting me rejoin it no matter what I try?"

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.May.2017 at 16:42
Shirley: You jest.

Did you check their "Z" values?

Attach a copy of the reluctant drawing and someone here will take a look at it.  Maybe they will discern the nature of the problem and arrive at a suitable solution.

Edited by John Connor - 25.May.2017 at 16:45
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Deadhorse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.May.2017 at 17:16
I managed to convert the lines and get them to join but now I'm confused as to why some of them are 2D polylines and some are 3D polylines.  I used the FLATTEN command on all of them previously and other than the type of polyline I don't see any difference in their properties.

I would like to attach the file so possibly someone could look at it but can't figure out how.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.May.2017 at 17:24
Is it possible some of the objects had ends with different Z values? 

Did you try the full reply editor?  Use the File Upload button to start the process.  I just tested it by uploading and attaching this....

>uploads/165260/DwgAttachTest.dwg

Edited by John Connor - 25.May.2017 at 17:28

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Deadhorse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.May.2017 at 17:37
GRRRRRR!  WE ARE VERY SORRY!

The page you are accessing reports temporary problems on the web site WWW.CADFORUM.CZ

Anyway how can some of the lines have a z value if I've used the FLATTEN command on all of them?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.May.2017 at 17:48
I meant before you arrived at your solution using FLATTEN.

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Deadhorse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.May.2017 at 17:57
I think that was it, I just exploded one of the 3D polylines flattened the segments then rejoined and it's now a 2D ployline but I thought if a line did have a z value then it would not join, like if there an overlap or gap?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.May.2017 at 18:00
I don't know the answer to that.  But you arrived at a solution so that is all that really matters at this point.  Nice job.

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic