CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 15043
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPDF attach

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31.Jul.2017 at 12:55
Try this.

Open a new blank drawing then invoke the PDFIMPORT command.  See if that works for you.  I tested it on two different PDF's.  The first one failed to import anything of use while the second one imported the entire drawing.  However........

-Circles were imported as two spline objects.
-Text objects were imported as lightweight polylines.
-Arcs and lines were imported as lightweight polylines.
-Arrowheads were imported as solids.
-Dimension entities (dim text, extension lines, etc.) were imported as separate lightweight polylines.

My test did not include changing any of the default settings as seen in the Import PDF dialog box.  I would have to go back and review those settings and determine if changing any of them would markedly improve the output.

Bottom line.  The command does work but I suppose a lot depends on how the PDF was generated in the first place and what program was used to create it.

Edited by John Connor - 31.Jul.2017 at 12:56
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

dolau View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Using: autocad LT2023
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15.Aug.2017 at 15:05
John,

I tried the pdfimport and ticked all the boxes on a pdf that I wanted to import and only half came in even though as a pdfattach it said there were no layers and imported as one drawing

As a pdfattach on a locked layer (I am learning) it appeared perfect in my paper space drawing sheet and was on a locked viewport however as I zoomed the page the pdf attached stayed in the one place and scale and so started to lose its viewable dimensions as the pdf surround stayed the same but the pdf retained its viewed scale- badly described but as I zoomed I lost the periferals of the pdf within the box that remained the same in the paper space view I was zooming into

Even when I had a view on my screen of the whole drawing within its box on my locked paperspace drawing sheet when I pdf's the drawing sheet the attached pdf lost half of its contents as it rescaled itself despite looking perfect on the screen uploads/659896/FTC5_Pre_plumbed_2_x_heating_mixed_3.pdf

Confused - but its not difficult
Andrew
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15.Aug.2017 at 15:11
Maybe you missed what I said previously.

Bottom line.  The command does work but I suppose a lot depends on how the PDF was generated in the first place and what program was used to create it.

Yes, it appears that when one uses PDFIMPORT the conversion drops lines and the text appears as white shaded boxes (although I have verified the text is there).  When brought into a drawing using the PDFATTACH command everything does show up on screen.  Of course as one zooms in the quality degrades a great deal but as for the other anomalies you describe sorry but I do get any of that.  The PDF, in model space, stays locked into position when viewed through my paper space viewport.

I ran a test plot (in color) of the new drawing I attached the PDF to.  It appears everything came through including all linework and text. 

Edited by John Connor - 15.Aug.2017 at 15:35
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic