CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 5897
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedComplex Linetypes drawing direction problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
z1990m View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2014
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Complex Linetypes drawing direction problems
    Posted: 27.Jul.2017 at 12:28
Hey

This will probably be mega easy for you guys but it's got me scratching my headConfused

I have a linetype that has both a shape file and text incorporated in it, drawing lines from left to right works fine.
However the problem is when the line is drawn right to left it seems to position the text over the top of my shape file.

This line shows flow direction of a pipe so the PEDIT (Reverse) doesn't work as it will shows the flow running the wrong direction.

Below is my .lin and an example of the error in CAD.

*UG-SWS-AR,UNDERGROUND STORM DRAIN ASSUMED FROM RECORDS
A,30,-28,30,-28,30,-28,30,-1.197827,[FLOW,\\INTHQSVR03\RedirectedFolders\jobs2017\systemfiles2017\utilitymaster.linfiles\FLOW ARROW,y=-11.419447,s=.997684],-37.664418,["(AR)",LINESTYLE,y=-8.891762,s=19.238087,u=0],-51.876634

If anyone could help that would be muchly appreciated.
Many Thanks

Zak
Vladimir Michl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Arkance Systems CZ

Using: Autodesk software
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27.Jul.2017 at 14:08
This is (geometrically) not possible to achieve - you will need a different linetype to reverse the order of the arrow+text while keeping the text readable.
Vladimir Michl (moderator)
Arkance Systems - arkance-systems.cz - Autodesk reseller
z1990m View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27.Jul.2017 at 14:22
Bugger!!

I was hoping there was a problem with the code in the .lin i.e. easy fix for someone that knows what their doing LOL

Thanks for getting intouch, i'll create a second linetype, should do the job Smile
Many Thanks

Zak
Kent Cooper View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2020, 2023
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27.Jul.2017 at 18:20
Originally posted by Vladimir Michl Vladimir Michl wrote:

This is (geometrically) not possible to achieve ....

No, it's not impossible!

Give it a larger pen-up (negative-value) gap between the symbol and the text element, to push the nominal "location" of the text farther along by about half the text width, and then include a negative-X component (like the negative-Y one) in the text specification, to "back off" the start of the text so the nominal location is in the middle of it.  You'll have to experiment with the exact numerical values to fine-tune it, as the result is affected by the size and font and content of the text.

Here's an example of a quickie I threw together using a symbol I already had, that illustrates reverse direction with text nicely positioned in the gap between the symbol and the subsequent line [pen-down] element.  The "base" linetype definition is shown in the right side, which is a Line drawn from left to right, with the symbol pointing up.  The left side is a Line drawn from right to left, and the text is uprighted but still positioned in the same relationship to the symbol and the line element.

EDIT:  To be more specific, take half the gap after the text and add it to the gap before the text, and back the text off by the same amount.  Rounding off your values for those gaps to 38 and 52, try something like this, the half-value being 26:

....,s=.997684],-64,["(AR)",LINESTYLE,x=-26,y=-8.891762,s=19.238087,u=0],-26

Fine-tune the values for best positioning [though it hardly seems necessary to take it down to millionths of a drawing unit!].

Edited by Kent Cooper - 27.Jul.2017 at 18:42

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31.Jul.2017 at 21:04
[Vladimir, do you have a way of notifying z1990m that they can do what they're after?  I wouldn't want to see them go to the extra trouble of defining different linetypes if they've just given up on this and haven't checked back to see my suggestion.]
z1990m View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31.Jul.2017 at 22:09
Hi Kent cooper

Sorry I've been mega busy at work so haven't had chance to put what you've suggested into action 😕 I will have a proper look at my line type soon trying what you have suggested and I'll be sure to post my results on here.

Thanks ever so much for taking the time to reply.

I'll keep you posted on my progress 😊

Thanks again and sorry on the slow reply 😕👍
Many Thanks

Zak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01.Aug.2017 at 03:41
Here's another reason to always do it that way, even with your arrowhead Shapes, if you ever use linetypes with Text or Shapes on curves of any kind:

*BAD,------ TextString ------ TextString ------ TextString ------
A,2,-.1,["TextString",STANDARD,S=.3,U=0.0,Y=-.15],-2
*GOOD,------ TextString ------ TextString ------ TextString ------
A,2,-1.1,["TextString",STANDARD,S=.3,U=0.0,X=-1.0,Y=-.15],-1

Edited by Kent Cooper - 01.Aug.2017 at 03:42

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic