CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 12735
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSuffix and Prefix

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
beardencad View Drop Down

Using: autocad 2017
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suffix and Prefix
    Posted: 12.Dec.2017 at 23:25
Hi everyone! I would have a dimension text with no suffix and prefix for my architectural dim style. Here an exemple of what I am looking for:  instead to have a classic 9'-2"  I would have 9-2   Please, somebody get a trick?  Thank's all of you!  Beardencad.
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13.Dec.2017 at 00:07
And you figure anyone who looks at your drawing would instinctively know 9-2 really means nine feet two inches?

What you are trying to accomplish would most likely be governed by the unit format you select and whether or not there is an option to eliminate both the feet and inches symbols via the decimal separator feature found in DimStyle under the Primary Units tab.  I doubt you find what you are looking for.  Workaround: override the dimension text. 

Edited by John Connor - 13.Dec.2017 at 00:22
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

philippe JOSEPH View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD Mechanical 2017
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13.Dec.2017 at 07:46
Hello beardencad and John, an overridden dimension should be underlined for it to be considered not "reliable" but if you do this with all the dimension your entire work is going to be worth nothing.
Or you could add a note : dimensions in feet and inch.
The better is to stay with the units displayed.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13.Dec.2017 at 15:12
thank's you both for your hint. I appreciate your professionalism about making some mistakes in my drawings with a dimension that mean nothing but numbersbe under a line, but I have my own reasons to do so. I created a legend to make sure that the poeples who will use my drawing won't make any mistakes. Thank you very much again.

P.S. sorry for my misspellings!

Denis D. (Beardencad)
Quebec, Canada

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13.Dec.2017 at 22:47
Dimensions in a drawing mean EVERYTHING!  Once any doubt or uncertainty is introduced the drawing becomes nothing more than a pretty picture.  You should NOT have to explain that 9-2 really means 9'-2".  Clarity is paramount.

Edited by John Connor - 13.Dec.2017 at 22:48
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

philippe JOSEPH View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD Mechanical 2017
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14.Dec.2017 at 07:41
Yes John, but on the other hand I have to admit that ( on this side of the ocean at least ) we don't write mm , cm or m after each dimensions and we don't add systematically a note explaining this.
I work with steel and we work with millimetres, civil constructors are working in the legal unit meter.
We can even find on civil constructor drawings a mix of "inferior to the meter" dimensions in centimeter ( 250 = 250 cm = 0.25 m ) with ( in the same drawing ) "superior to the meter" dimensions in meter ( 1.50= one meter and a half ). 

On my drawings I use the millimetre and ( when displayed ) levels in meters and then only I add the note :
Dimensions in millimetres, levels in meters.
My files are set on millimetres and for levels I use the command DIMORDINATE with a special dimstyle with settings that display +1.5 m for a dimension of 1500 ( prefix : + , suffix : (space)m ).
I can do this because on my files the levels are "in real situation" and let the DIMORDINATE work fine witout having to change the UCS origin.

Edited by philippe JOSEPH - 14.Dec.2017 at 07:49

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14.Dec.2017 at 11:05
Drawings should be unambiguous.  Clear.  Concise.  Any departure from that can lead to unintended consequences.  But I guess that's why engineers and architects carry error and omissions insurance.

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Kent Cooper View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2020, 2023
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15.Dec.2017 at 16:14
At the request of someone on the AutoCAD Forums for just this kind of thing, I made a version of the TXT font that just replaces the single- and double-quote characters with nothingness.  It's called TxtNoQuotes, available at:
The same could be done easily enough for other .SHX fonts if you have the .SHP source file.  I don't know of a way to do it with TrueType fonts.

Edited by Kent Cooper - 15.Dec.2017 at 16:20

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24.Dec.2017 at 01:56
Done! Thank's Mr Kent Cooper for your "TxNoQuotes" creation, it is working very well! If one day, you would like to create another text style, much like "arial" style,  It will be an honor  for me to use it in my drawings.

T'ill then, thank's for all of you to answered me for my needs!

I will wish you all the best for 2018 and keep on drawing!
Kent Cooper View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2020, 2023
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27.Dec.2017 at 15:41
I'm glad it works for you.  I can't do Arial itself, because it's a .TTF font, but some time soon I may try some of the .SHX fonts that are at least closer to that than TXT is, such as ROMANS, SIMPLEX, and/or ROMAND.

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic