CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 5913
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAt HOOPS Technical Summit at the Exploratorium in San Francisco

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AliveInTheLab View Drop Down
RSS robots
RSS robots

Direct Link To This Post Topic: At HOOPS Technical Summit at the Exploratorium in San Francisco
    Posted: 09.May.2018 at 04:00

I sort of started my employment with Autodesk by moving to California in 1990 to work for Ithaca Software. Ithaca Software was in the process of relocating from Ithaca, New York. Ithaca Software was acquired by Autodesk in 1993, and when Ithaca Software co-founder, Carl Bass, became Autodesk CEO in 2006, Ithaca Software's acquisition of Autodesk was complete. While working at Ithaca Software, I developed 2D and 3D graphics drivers for the DOS and HP-UX platforms in addition to being the author of the reference manual. For those unfamiliar, HOOPS stands for Hierarchical Object-Oriented Picture System. HOOPS is a platform-independent graphics system that allows a programmer to write one program and have the graphics work on a variety of operating systems like Windows, MacOS, Linux, etc. HOOPS handles all of the complexity of different graphics systems and devices on behalf of the programmer. Who is old enough to remember the SGI Iris Vision graphics card?

When Autodesk acquired Ithaca Software, Carl Bass was very egalitarian. He made sure that employees, original Ithaca Software investors, and existing HOOPS customers emerged from the deal intact. For example, he got Tech Soft 3D to continue to develop and support HOOPS for customers (even Autodesk competitors) who relied on it. So here we are 25 years later, and here's where I will be tomorrow.

2018-05-04_12-34-17

I look forward to seeing how Tech Soft 3D has improved our baby.

Graphics are alive in the lab.

Go to the original post...

It's Alive in ihe Lab - Autodesk Labs blog by Scott Sheppard

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic