CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 6231
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWindow Resealing after an Earthquake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AliveInTheLab View Drop Down
RSS robots
RSS robots

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Window Resealing after an Earthquake
    Posted: 29.Jun.2018 at 04:00

Since it's Friday, let's talk about something besides Autodesk technology.

In 2015 we replaced all of the windows in our home. In addition to reducing our energy costs, the circular window in our family room leaked, and we wanted to remedy that. We have been very happy with our new windows. At the end of 2017, our energy costs were 51% of what they once were. So imagine our surprise when my wife recently cleaned the windows, and she discovered that that same window had a leak.

When I inspected the window I saw:

Now

We know the window was not in that condition when the installers completed the job in 2015. In fact, here's a picture from 2016:

2016-04-12 18.01.31

The trim used to be fully contiguous and completely sealed. So what happened? Our best guess is:

April2018
April 2018

As far as earthquake damage goes, this is a trivial matter and is easily fixable.

• I purchased some DAP Kwik Seal Plus from our local hardware store. I love that we have a hardware store that is walking distance from our home.

Seal

I picked this sealant because it is paintable.

• Though the sealant was white when applied, it dried clear.

Applied

• To finish the job, I applied some paint in the trim color, but oops, I started to paint too much.

Oops

Only the front face (X/Y plane) of the trim is the trim color. The thickness (Z dimension) is the siding color.

• Fortunately, in addition to having some trim paint on hand, I also had some on hand in the siding color. It was a quick fix, since I had only painted the top portion when I realized my mistake.

After

Over time, the newly painted siding will fade to match the rest of the siding.

Finished

The problem has been corrected, but it is sobering to know that even the smallest of earthquakes has enough force to jostle a house such that the window framing can become misshapen.

Resealing is alive in the lab.

Go to the original post...

It's Alive in ihe Lab - Autodesk Labs blog by Scott Sheppard

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic