CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 17917
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDraftSight 2018 Arch Template

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JeanSmallwood-Riley View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD, Revit, Draftsight
Direct Link To This Post Topic: DraftSight 2018 Arch Template
    Posted: 08.Jul.2018 at 19:49
Good afternoon. I am trying to set up a template 1/4"in DraftSight. I am following the resources guide and find that it really does not explain things well. Is there someone that could walk me through the process from setting up the work area so that each time I open the template it is ready to use?
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09.Jul.2018 at 11:14
So you want to make use of the model space/sheet space concept is that correct?  And you want your sheet space viewport(s) to be assigned a scale of 1/4"=1'-0" right?

What other features do you want to include in your new template?  Have you decide on the font or fonts you want to use?  What about a dimension style?  Etc., etc., etc.

Have you checked out the YouTube video ""Template Setup and Creation in Draftsight"?  It might be worthwhile viewing.

Edited by John Connor - 09.Jul.2018 at 11:17
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11.Aug.2018 at 18:08
Thank you for the information on the YouTube video. However, have you tried to watch this? I have never tried to sit through such a bad video a this. I have followed the instructions for the setting up the template for 1/4" scale and it will not stay. 

I am so frustrated with the program I am seriously considering going to the garage and finding my old laptop that has my AutoCAD 2004 on it. 

If anyone can tell me what I need to do to make this program keep my changes I would appreciate it very much. I have a deadline to have this done in the next 2 weeks.

Thank you,

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11.Aug.2018 at 19:12
The changes will only be retained just as with AutoCAD by saving to the proper template file extension.
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11.Aug.2018 at 19:15
Maybe this will be easier for you to follow.  Substitute as needed to fulfill your specific requirements.

http://frost.livoniapublicschools.org/common/pages/DisplayFile.aspx?itemId=15735306

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12.Aug.2018 at 22:09
John,
Thank you for the link. 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13.Aug.2018 at 15:35
FYI - Once you have your master title block and border set up (with your layers, linetypes, text style, dimensions style, settings, etc.) in your layout you have to activate the viewport in order to assign a scale to it.  Once you have done this save the drawing as a template file (.dwt).  You might want to save it with an easily recognized name such as QtrScale.dwt (for quarter scale template file).  Understand?

BTW...I would recommend placing the Viewport on its own unique layer (call it VPorts for short) and set the layer not to print in the Layers Manager dialog box.  Give the layer an unique color as well so you don't confuse it for a drawing entity.

I use AutoCAD on a daily basis but some of the young engineers I work with use Draftsight (for sketches to be submitted with work orders or change notices) so I have that loaded as well although I don't use it regularly.  If an engineer comes to me with a Draftsight question at least I am able to pull up the program and try to reproduce what they are experiencing so we can come up with a solution.

Edited by John Connor - 13.Aug.2018 at 15:44

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic