CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 11960
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPrinting or saving to scale

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Legu5 View Drop Down

Using: CAD 2019
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Printing or saving to scale
    Posted: 02.Mar.2020 at 21:37
Hi,

I have a CAD drawing in model space, full scale. I go to paper space and scale (1:50) put in scale: .02xp and it should save as 1:50. It is nearly 1:50 but about 7% out? The dimension of say 5.76m is measuring to scale as nearly 5.35 why is this? I've even tried cheating, and got the scale right, then when I saved it as a PDF the scale was wrong again? What's happening?

Regards,

Francis
philippe JOSEPH View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD Mechanical 2017
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03.Mar.2020 at 08:12
Hello Legu5, are you printing to a 'little' printer A3 or A4; then it's normal for it to be out by some % because of the margins of the printer.
If you print on a 'big' printer with the paper size biger by some cm then you can print surely at full scale.
On a littke printer you can appreciate the % of magins when launching the print, see the image here enclosed in :
Plot scale , FIT TO PAPER , 1 mm # 0.xxx unit.
Calculate the ratio between 1 mm and xxx unit and draw a rectangle to print LOWER by 0.9xxxx that you have calculate then launch a print of that smaller rectangle and read again the :

Plot scale , FIT TO PAPER , 1 mm # 1 unit. ( the 1 mm should be equal to 1 unit )

Please note that when you print to PDF you will get some % of margins more not equal to print to paper.

John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03.Mar.2020 at 17:11
I disagree with the advice above that says to select "Fit to Paper".  You choose that "Fit to Paper" when you don't care about scale at all.

Edited by John Connor - 03.Mar.2020 at 17:12
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

philippe JOSEPH View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD Mechanical 2017
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03.Mar.2020 at 18:55
Hello John, in my case drawing the paper sizes with their margins helps me in 'managing' my Model space to zero, usefull when you have 30 pages of procedure and it also helps me in having nothing out of the viewport.
I can also have sequences perfectly centered from page to page and when you flip a PDF book your eyes are perfectly focused on the subject.

Edited by philippe JOSEPH - 03.Mar.2020 at 18:55

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic