CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 8201
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedXref Binding problem with 2008

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KimbleC View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2012
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xref Binding problem with 2008
    Posted: 02.Feb.2010 at 03:51
If I use R2008 to bind my xref it disappears and the XrefManager still states that it is there and unbound.

Now using CLASSICXREF command gets an old XrefManager interface up which in my case advised me that I had proxy objects in my xref file.

However I am able to bind this same drawing using R2004 so go figure.

So my question now is how can I remove these proxy objects from my xref file so that I am able to bind my drawing using R2008.
I have been advised that I could use DWGTrueView to bind these files....Did not work.

Someone also suggested that I should WBlock the xref file....Does not work because you are unable to copy proxy objects.

Lastly people have suggested that I use eTransmit but this is not what we need to do.

Sorry about the rant but this problem has been on going for several years.
Regards
Kim
CarlB View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02.Feb.2010 at 23:56
I believe it has to do with proxy objects, and the version of your object enabler that allows you to view & handle these objects. I know, you'd think if you can view it, why can't you bind it?  Don't know.  :)

So, see if you can download object enabler that is particular for the version of AutoCAD & version of the add-on that made the proxy object, such as Architectural Desktop, CIvil 3d, etc.
KimbleC View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2012
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03.Feb.2010 at 00:07
Thanks CarlB

But the problem I see is that we would have to download and install every object enabler as the version or even the type of add-on is unknown.
We (Electrical) are always last with any Layout (general arrangement) drawings so have to use Architectural, Civil, Structural or Mechanical Layout drawings to produce our Electrical Layout drawings.
That is where the problems lie.
I have even tried using DelProxy available on www.xanadu.cz/download but still was unable to remove these proxy objects.

Regards
Kim
Bundles View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22.Mar.2010 at 13:27
I have just solved this problem with one of my drawings. To avoid the proxy blocks being copied with a drawing (which is the root of the problem, usually associated with AEC), locate the layers that you cannot delete (usually those with a strange name and nothing on them).
Then switch them off, freeze them, (in present and new VP), and lock them.
Now wblock the drawing selecting all by window. Then you will find that your wblock version has no strange layers or proxy blocks and will allow you to bind the xref to the drawing.
tulip3D View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2011, Inventor2011
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22.Mar.2010 at 15:04

As opposed to turning the troubling layers off or freezing them, could you use 'LAYDEL' to just abolish them all together? Or would this cause another set of issues?

Bundles View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22.Mar.2010 at 15:24
No. Laydel relies on there being nothing at all on the layer in order for it to delete the layer. It is not possible to delete a layer with a proxy block on it because you can't see or manipulate it.

By swithcing off the layers and locking them makes them invisible to cad for standard operations, so that by wblocking the lines you do want as another dwg, you leave the rubbish behind in the old version.

Then you can save your new version over the old and hey presto - no problems with proxys.

This is the only way i can find of losing the annoying layers with apparently nothing on them and overcoming the proxy objects issue.
tulip3D View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2011, Inventor2011
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22.Mar.2010 at 15:27
Hmmm...good sh*t!
Cheers man! Thats one for the books, lol.
laptopshop View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21.May.2010 at 03:20
This is your question. I hope someone get me a answer .
Hi all, occassionally we have to coordinate drawings with contractors that requests we bind the xref's instead of using e-transmit.

On some projects when picking bind-bind or bind-insert the xrefs disappear and cannot be found. Anyone have a clue as to why or what to do to retrieve the xref's?
thanks for help, teg .

Edited by laptopshop - 21.May.2010 at 03:20
tolentino View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24.May.2010 at 13:34

Yeah It happened most of the time specially from those xrefs with long file name and using characters like &,@ and so on. What I did is, I renamed all those xrefs and just used undescores. It works on mine.

Tolentino
tolentino View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24.May.2010 at 13:44

I know this is off the topic, But I hope you good guys can help,

What causes this error?

FATAL ERROR:  Unhandled Access Violation Writing 0x0034 Exception at 3300d103h

Tolentino

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic