CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 2116
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIssue with multiple versions of AutoCAD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jmoore284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Issue with multiple versions of AutoCAD
    Posted: 15.Mar.2010 at 13:48
I am having problems controlling which version of AutoCAD my drawings open in. On my machine I have AutoCAD 2004, AutoCAD Electrical 2007, AutoCAD Electrical 2008, and AutoCAD 2010 installed. Everything was fine until last week when I installed 2010.

After I installed 2010 it became the default application for all ".dwg" files. Typically I double-click a file from within Windows Explorer to open them. I need them to open in 2008 and am not having luck re-associating the files with this version. I have tried going to the "Tools...Folder Options...File Types" menu and selecting the "acad.exe" executable for 2008 as the application for all ".dwg" files, with no luck.

Now when I double-click a drawing file it opens within 2004. I believe part of the issue is the fact that the executable for all version of AutoCAD is "acad.exe".  I understand Autodesk prefers drawings be opened via the "Open" command from within the software, however for my application this simply is not an option.

Is anyone aware of any variables or other methods which may control which version of AutoCAD is associated with the ".dwg" file type?
tulip3D View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2011, Inventor2011
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15.Mar.2010 at 18:11
I would blow away the 04' acad and 07electrical. There old, and theres no reason (that im aware of) to keep them. Should solve your problem. And if you have to save down to anything, you can do it automatically.
Tankman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16.Mar.2010 at 04:50
acad.exe worked fine with multiple cad programs on my desktop.

That was before I used a registry cleaner. Ouch! That hurt.

Reloaded. Used the registry cleaner. Too many times.

Steer clear, I hope you're not using one, a registry cleaner!
Buyer beware!  Ouch
Tankman

"When the well's dry, we'll all know the value of water."

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic