CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 7134
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed3D Modeling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sunju View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2009
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3D Modeling
    Posted: 13.Sep.2010 at 10:25

Hello,

Well, I do have a question about 3D modeling.  First of all, I work on AutoCAD 2009. I am having some problems with a supplier.  They are telling me, that my drawing is not a complete single solid. And there are errors on the file.  The supplier will do stereo lithography with the drawing.

In fact, the 3D drawing was done on ACAD 2009, then saved the file in an ACAD 2000 version so that I can open it in Mechanical desktop® 6 power pack.  There I did the IGES translation, then sent the IGES file to the supplier.

Can you please tell me how I am getting these problems?  Do I need to switch to Solidworks, Mechanical Desktop?

Which software will be best for 2D, 3D drawings and IGES translation?

I hope this makes sense to you and thanks in advance for the help.

Edited by Sunju - 13.Sep.2010 at 10:59
Sunju
haithamsitto View Drop Down

Using: Acad2010
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14.Sep.2010 at 05:08

I have done this several times, you can do this within any acad version, simply type igesout have the item / part isolated in a separate drawing.  You can also export as .stl lithography format.  These have always worked for us, good luck!

Cad64 View Drop Down

Using: Autocad 2011, 3DS Max 2011, Photoshop CS5
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14.Sep.2010 at 06:34
Originally posted by haithamsitto haithamsitto wrote:

I have done this several times, you can do this within any acad version, simply type igesout have the item / part isolated in a separate drawing. 

Actually, that's not true. The IGESOUT command was removed from vanilla Autocad back in version R14, almost 15 years ago.

If you need to export to IGES, you will need to use Autocad Mechanical, Inventor, Solidworks, Rhino or some other program.
Online Portfolio: http://www.rdeweese.com/
Sunju View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14.Sep.2010 at 13:49
Thanks for the reply...
maybe I'll have to switch to Mechanical Desktop then.

I do have another question,
What are the possible errors generated when performing a union between a cylinder and a cube for example? Both solid must be joined together, with no space in between. Can there be errors in microns that the solids does not join together to become one single solid?

Sunju
Cad64 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14.Sep.2010 at 15:52
Originally posted by Sunju Sunju wrote:

Thanks for the reply...
maybe I'll have to switch to Mechanical Desktop then.

I do have another question,
What are the possible errors generated when performing a union between a cylinder and a cube for example? Both solid must be joined together, with no space in between. Can there be errors in microns that the solids does not join together to become one single solid?

There is no Mechanical Desktop anymore. It's called Autocad Mechanical now.

If your cylinder and cube are not touching, they will still join to form one object, but they will not be truly unioned because there will be a gap between them. Or, if the cylinder is slightly skewed so that it doesn't sit flat on top of the cube there could be a problem. To make sure the cylinder and cube union cleanly, just make your cylinder slightly longer so that it penetrates the cube and make sure the cylinder is aligned perpendicular to the face of the cube.
Sunju View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15.Sep.2010 at 07:18
Yes, good to know that now its called Autocad Mechanical... otherwise i was confused.
Like i said, i took for example a cube union with a cylinder. And in my drawing, the cylinder was perfectly aligned perpendicular to the face of the cube,to be unioned later.

In my actual drawing, it is much more complicated. there are a series of cylinders, threads, cones and flat surface solids.  In the end, the supplier to whom i sent the IGES file, told me that the solid isn't one single solid. that is why i am having trouble...

Maybe the best way to minimize such errors is to switch to Mechanical, do the 3D and translate to IGES using mechanical itself.

If you can suggest me, which will be the best software to use/buy to do such drawing...3D, then translate to IGES or STEP.

And if possible, to review the translated IGES file, just to make sure that there are no errors generated while translation.

Thanks a lot Smile
Sunju
Cad64 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15.Sep.2010 at 21:29
Originally posted by Sunju Sunju wrote:

If you can suggest me, which will be the best software to use/buy to do such drawing...3D, then translate to IGES or STEP.

And if possible, to review the translated IGES file, just to make sure that there are no errors generated while translation.

The deciding factor in purchasing a program could be the cost involved. Inventor, Autocad Mechanical and Solidworks are all very expensive programs, but Rhino is relatively cheap in comparison. You might want to visit their website, download the trial version and give it a try.

You might also want to talk to your local Autodesk sales rep and see what they can do for you. If you buy Autocad Mechanical or Inventor, you get Autocad included with your purchase.
Sunju View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17.Sep.2010 at 09:03
Thank you for the valuable information.

I did download a trial version of Rhino. Trying to figure out how it works.
I think I'll buy Autocad Mechanical itself... because i am used to Autodesk.

Otherwise, thank you very much for the help.
if I'll have other questions, i will post it here itself.

Regards
Sunju

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic