CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 8871
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConverting AutoCad 2010 to Architectural Desktop 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
amyhilliker View Drop Down

Using: AutoCad 2010
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Converting AutoCad 2010 to Architectural Desktop 2
    Posted: 06.Oct.2010 at 14:52
I am trying to find the best way to convert a file created in AutoCad 2010 so that someone who has Architectural Desktop 2006 can open and view the file.

What is the best way to accomplish this?  I have tried saving the file from AutoCad 2010 as an AutoCad 2004 drawing file but the person with Architectural Desktop 2006 cannot open or view the file that I have saved.  Is there a better format to save the drawing as?  Or are these two systems not compatible for switching between drawing files?

Any advice or tips is very much appreciated.
Cad64 View Drop Down

Using: Autocad 2011, 3DS Max 2011, Photoshop CS5
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07.Oct.2010 at 02:15
Saving down to 2004 format should do it. Or try saving down to 2000 format.

It would help to know what the error message says when the person with Architectural Desktop tries to open the drawing.
Online Portfolio: http://www.rdeweese.com/
amyhilliker View Drop Down

Using: AutoCad 2010
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07.Oct.2010 at 13:42
Thank you so much for your assistance.  I did try to save it as a 2004 file.  The person trying to open the file would get an error message that said:
Drawing file not valid

But when he could get the file to open, instead of all the parts of the drawing (ie, wall, windows, doors) be objects, they reverted back to line items and could not be edited like in AutoCad 2010 or Architectural desktop. 

Is there a way to save the AutoCad 2010 file so that the person with Architectural Desktop 2006 can edit the items as objects than rather than as lines?

Thanks again for all your help.
MrCompletely View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2011
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16.Oct.2010 at 21:15
I think autodesk has a program that allows users of older versions to view (and save backwards) newer drawings. Part of your post had me thinking that although your drawing file may have saved as 2004 format, it may contain objects (such as blocks) created as 2010 format, which won't save down. Was this originally a Desktop drawing that was saved as an AutoCAD drawing, and then back? Was this a 3D AutoCAD drawing originally?
Mike V View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD Archtecture 2011
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22.Oct.2010 at 02:55
You could try to save it as a DXF (2004) as well
MVH

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic