CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 9788
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedpipe bend surface area calculation in autocad

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
spanatko View Drop Down

Using: AutoCad2009
Direct Link To This Post Topic: pipe bend surface area calculation in autocad
    Posted: 25.Feb.2011 at 00:07
Hello,

I need a hint on calculating the surface area of a pipe bend /to be more precise of the bends individual sections/, is this possible to do in autocad with 3d? is there such a library of functions? any suggestions or information appreciated. 

Big thanks 
Mike
CarlB View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.Feb.2011 at 01:14
Assuming consistent circular cross-section, the surface area is the pipe circumference times the centerline length.

If bent on curve of radius R, the centerline length is R x Bend angle (in radians).

A pipe of outer radius r, at a 45 degree bend would have length  R x 45 x (Pi/180), and a surface area of (2Pi x r)x (R x Pi/4)

That geometric method seems easier than a cad solution.

spanatko View Drop Down

Using: AutoCad2009
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.Feb.2011 at 08:49
Hello, 

thank you very much for your input and explanation, a cad solution will be required here as the sections of the bend will have to be manufactured based on some graphic presentation. I assume it will be in 3d, but what I do not know is the module that I need to buy to be able to calculate /and depict/ the surface areas  and shapes for the individual sections in the pipe bend. 

So far I have found 2 candidates /AutoCad plant 3D and Autocad P&ID/ but I might be very wrong here, and maybe some other version might be totally suitable for these calculations and imagery. Thank you for the geometric method description as well, I am looking at it right now and it helps.

Thank you & Regards
Michael
< ="content-" content="text/; charset=utf-8">< ="content-" content="text/; charset=utf-8">
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.Feb.2011 at 11:46
I think AutoDesk Inventor might be a better choice.
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic