CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 7295
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2005 to 2008 cui transfer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sebgonz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2005 to 2008 cui transfer
    Posted: 18.Mar.2008 at 17:13
At my work we have a drafter who was using 2005 AutoCAD and is now being forced to move to 2008. He's got a lot of menus and toolbars that are set up how he likes them. Can anyone tell me how to transfer his CUI to 2008 with minimal loss? (if any)
sebgonz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18.Mar.2008 at 17:35
Nevermind. I figured it out.
bcbenton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18.Mar.2008 at 17:40
How did you do it?
For AutoCAD Tips & Tricks
CAD-a-Blog
sebgonz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18.Mar.2008 at 18:44
I had to do a little bit of workaround for it to work properly.  Here's what I did.

1.I found the CUI file that was stored in C:\Documents and Settings\***Specific User***\Application Data\Autodesk\Autodesk Mechanical Desktop 2005\R16.1\enu\Support. (You need to show hidden files and folders for Application Data to show up.)

2. Copied acad.mnl, acad.mnu, and acad.mnr from there to a new folder on my desktop.

3. Then I typed in the MENULOAD command in 2008, Unloaded the acad menu, and loaded the acad.mnr (since it's the biggest one). Usually this will give an error. Saying something like the menugroup you're trying to load is the same as the default menugroup. That's because they're both named ACAD. BUT, it's a necessary step. Because then it creates a CUI file.  

4. Next I opened the CUI file that it created in Wordpad and replaced all the references to MenuGroup Name="ACAD" with MenuGroup Name="GARY".  The easiest way to do that is to go to EDIT > Replace... (In wordpad). In the "Find what:" box, type in (or paste) MenuGroup Name="ACAD". In the "Replace with:" type MenuGroup Name="xxxx" where the "x"s symbolize the new name. Make sure you select the two boxes that say "Match whole word only" and "Match Case".  After i did that, I saved the file with the new name. (Gary.cui)

5. Then I went back into AutoCAD 2008 and typed the MENULOAD command again. Once again, I unloaded the acad file, (This will also unload the rest of the menus.) and loaded the GARY.cui file.  All the toolbars, menus, etc were then all replaced with his custom ones.

That might have been the long way around, but it worked. That's the end goal for me.
bcbenton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18.Mar.2008 at 18:50
Did that wipe out all other CUI's?  I ask because we have a customized CUI and a user that has heavily customized his AutoCAD 2004.  I want to be able to import his 2004 settings into our 2008 settings, but retain our company CUI.

For AutoCAD Tips & Tricks
CAD-a-Blog
sebgonz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18.Mar.2008 at 19:52
If you save it as a different file name, it doesn't wipe out anything. It just replaces the original acad.cui file. Which is the one most users customize, not knowing that it's the original file.

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic