CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 6926
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHelp with Autocad Electrical

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
adrian_mcdonnel View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2012 Electrical
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with Autocad Electrical
    Posted: 14.Dec.2011 at 19:32
Hi,
  I have just started using Autocad electrical 2012, i have used standard autocad for sometime so have a bit of experience. I am confused slightly with the symbol libiary. I would like to select for example a certain PLC i/o module lets say PLC 1769-IQ32 compact logic i/o card. But when i try to insert icon menu it only show PLC 1761 icons, so if i use that block and then select manufacturer look up i can select all the different Allen Bradley PLC series but this will only change the text to my original block but not the icon. Therefore i am left with the icon for the PLC 1761 series bu the text is saying PLC1769-IQ32. I hope this makes sence as it is very difficult to explain. I can only think that the reason is that Autocad has the database for the PLC 1769 series but not the icon which means i need to create my own icon and then link it to the correct database.

Thank you
Adrian.
A McDonnell
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14.Dec.2011 at 23:48
It sounds like ACADE is using a "generic" symbol for all of the Allen Bradley PLC series I/O modules and just fleshing out the part number by adding, in your case, the -IQ32 designation.  That's how I think it works but I can't verify it at the moment although I might have the opportunity to do so on Thursday when I return to work.  I know someone who is running AutoCAD Electrical 2010.

Edited by John Connor - 14.Dec.2011 at 23:51
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15.Dec.2011 at 12:50
Thanks John,
  If you could possible get that confirmed that would be great. I still dont understand though why i can only see the AB 1761 micrologix in the Insert Component tab when i have installed lots of different manufacturers symbols, i.e Siemens ect which are part of Autocad electrical. Unless ACADE uses a genric symbol for all PLC i/o irrespective of supplier........

Edited by adrian_mcdonnel - 15.Dec.2011 at 12:50
A McDonnell

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15.Dec.2011 at 13:05
You can only see the symbols of the manufacturer you have elected to see.  Since all symbols are just DWG files you could open them and compare one to another right?
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15.Dec.2011 at 14:55

Hi John,

Not excatly, i don,t see an option to choose which manufacture symbols i would like to use (where is this?) When i select Icon menu, when on the schematic tab, and select PLC I/O the only options i have are as follows:

AB 1761 Micrologix (8 spacing)
AB 1761 Micrologix (12 spacing)
AB 1761 Micrologix (16 spacing)
Automation direct DL105 ( 8 spacing)
Automation direct DL105 ( 12 spacing)
Automation direct DL105 ( 18 spacing)

That is all of the manufacture symbols i have under PLC I/O.

A McDonnell

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15.Dec.2011 at 15:37

John,

Just found out somethink elese that might shine some light on the problem i am having. When i am on schematic tab and select the icon insert PLC Parametric on the Insert Components Tab nothing happens, but if i select the insert PLC Full units then the Insert Component library opens up highlighting the PLC I/O fixed Units, the same ones i mentioned before AB1761 etc.
A McDonnell

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15.Dec.2011 at 15:37
You wrote: "i have installed lots of different manufacturers symbols, i.e Siemens..."

Where did you put those symbols?

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15.Dec.2011 at 16:08

I just rebooted my PC as i got an error on ACADE and now it lets me select the Icon PLC I/O which then opens up the PLC Parametric Selection and from there i can select the manufacturer (yippyyy) . But i still only have the PLC AB 1761 under the PLC I/O fixed units ( i can only assume that is all that is supposed to be there?) Well, at least i can now select which PLC i/O manufacture and i/O card i would like top use.

Thanks for all your help John.

I am sure i will have some more questions in a minute as now i have been asked to try and create a spreadsheet that can be imported in to ACADE and then produve a PLC i/O drawing and then if possible try to create a cable schedule from that. I was going to look at some software called Autodesk inventor Pro which has somethink called Cable and Harness, have you used this before? Or have any knowledge of this software?

Cheers
A McDonnell

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15.Dec.2011 at 18:31
I have no experience with Inventor although I am aware the Cable and Harness feature does exist.

I've seen a spreadsheet used to generate a PLC I/O drawing.  Pretty impressive.  I believe you are referring to the Spreadsheet to PLC I/O Utility command.

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16.Dec.2011 at 11:13
Yes, i have just tried it creating a single I/O card wired down to local terminals, its great!
A McDonnell

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic