CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 10663
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAutocad R14-Multiple drawings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CharlesRheault View Drop Down

Using: Inventor2011
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Autocad R14-Multiple drawings
    Posted: 09.May.2012 at 16:29
Hi,

I've been doing research on the internet but can't seem to find answer to my problem.  Here it is: I am using autocad R14 along with Automanager.  My problem is that when I have an open drawing and try to open a second one through windows explorer, it doesn't work, nothing happens basicly I can't have two drawing opened at the same time.  However if I lauch 2-3-4,etc drawings through automanager it does work.

Does anyone have a clue how to fix this so that I can lauch different autocad R14 drawings at the same time?

Thanks !
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09.May.2012 at 18:27
Try setting the system variable SDI to a value of "0".
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09.May.2012 at 18:44
Hello John and thank you for your reply,

I don't think it's possible to set the SDI on autocad R14 or if it is I have no idea on how to do it ?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09.May.2012 at 23:36
System variables can be reset via the command line.

Another option would involve editing the Properties of the desktop shortcut for AutoCAD r14.  It's been a long time since I've done it though and I may even be thinking of something else entirely.  I'd have to do some research.

Edited by John Connor - 09.May.2012 at 23:38
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

heinsite View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2014
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10.May.2012 at 04:26
What I'm seeing is that the SDI variable didn't become available until AutoCAD 2000.  Prior to that only a single drawing could be open at a time.

So… where to start? The logical place is back in the AutoCAD 2000 timeframe. One of the big features of AutoCAD 2000 (codenamed “Tahoe”) was the Multiple Design Interface (a.k.a. the Multiple Document Interface or MDI). This was a big deal – until then AutoCAD had only been an SDI (Single Document Interface) application - and architecturally a lot needed to happen to enable MDI.

Dave
Dave Hein, P.E.
Hawaii District Engineer
Kona International Airport
AutoCAD Certified Professional
Autodesk Expert Elite

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10.May.2012 at 11:54
What is AutoManager and how are you able to open multiple drawings through it?

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10.May.2012 at 14:52
Automanager workflow is an interface that allows you to create "cards" for your drawings database.  Managing revision, drawings numbers, etc.  Once you are on the interface you can lauch a drawing with a button.  On that interface I can launch as many drawings as I want, a new autocad map3 application will open for every drawing.  However, when a drawing is open and I try to open another one by double clicking on the drawing in windows explorer, nothing happens...Im pretty puzzled...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10.May.2012 at 18:23
Why are you using r14 when Inventor 2011 comes bundled with AutoCAD 2011 doesn't it?

When someone asked the same question re: r14 and multiple drawings the response was...

"You can open multiple instances of AutoCAD 14 on a workstation within the limits of system memory resources. Open a second AutoCAD session, and then open another drawing file in the new session."

Unfortunately that is what you are doing already.  I have yet to find the magic bullet that will solve your problem.

Edited by John Connor - 10.May.2012 at 18:29

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

RoboFutbol View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2013, Inventor 2013
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12.May.2012 at 18:12
If memory serves me correctly, the only way was to open multiple sessions of AutoCAD    Thumbs%20Down

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic