CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 8565
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnits problem HELP!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hacksaw View Drop Down

Using: Autocad 2010
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Units problem HELP!!
    Posted: 20.Nov.2012 at 05:03
Hi guys,

I make a CAD drawing that I was unaware that someone has change the units by default from millimeters to inches, I'm almost half to finish until I found out that it was in wrong units, is any other way to change my drawing units without changing the preffered dimensions (e.g. 210 inches to 210 millimeters) please help I was new to autocad but I didn't know how to fixed this one..

"Remember Remember the fifth of November"
heinsite View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2014
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20.Nov.2012 at 05:53
If you continued drawing unaware that the UNITS change had been made, AND you continued entering your lengths and dimensions as if they still were in millimeters, the change probably had no effect on your work.  Just be sure that you correct the UNITS settings before going much further.  You might also want to ask that other person what they were thinking when they made the change.

A random check throughout the drawing of dimensions is probably a good idea too.

Dave.
Dave Hein, P.E.
Hawaii District Engineer
Kona International Airport
AutoCAD Certified Professional
Autodesk Expert Elite
hacksaw View Drop Down

Using: Autocad 2010
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20.Nov.2012 at 06:41
Does Scale using Reference would take effect?? I import the inches drawing to a millimeter units autocad and scaled it using the reference (e.g. 21.48 inches now converted to 1+ millimeter length of line after being imported and then I draw a a reference line having a length of 21480 millimeter and click both point), does the drawing accuracy would lost or would be still the same??
"Remember Remember the fifth of November"
heinsite View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2014
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20.Nov.2012 at 11:18
Without knowing how your two drawings were set up it's kind of hard to predict what's going to happen.  But I would suggest you create some instructional example files for yourself as a teaching aid.  They may help you understand this more quickly than anyone here could explain it.

Start a new drawing using the ACADISO template.  This will be decimal lengths and millimeter insertion units.  Create a square box 25.4mm x 25.4mm and dimension it.  Save the file as SQ-MM.

Now start another drawing using the ACAD template.  With the UNITS command set the length type to Decimal and the Insertion scale to Feet.  Import or attach your SQ-MM drawing.  Zoom extents if you can't see it.  Use the MEASUREGEOM command to check the lengths.  They should be 0.0833' (1" or 25.4mm) long each.  AutoCAD did the conversion for you.

Start one more drawing using the ACAD template.  This time set the length type to Architectural and the Insertion scale to Inches.  Import or attach your SQ-MM drawing again and check the lengths.  This time they should be equal to 1".

I think this little exercise will go a long way toward helping you understand how the Units and Insertion scale settings work between drawings.

Dave.
Dave Hein, P.E.
Hawaii District Engineer
Kona International Airport
AutoCAD Certified Professional
Autodesk Expert Elite
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20.Nov.2012 at 11:42
You can change units via the -DWGUNITS command.
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic