CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 8950
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSimple floor planning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Benz Man View Drop Down

Using: Revit 2011
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simple floor planning
    Posted: 12.Feb.2013 at 08:29
Hi Everyone.
I'm a retired Mechanical Engineer and it's probably more than 20 years since I've used Auto CAD but now find myself starting a new business venture which will require me to either hire a drafts-person or learn the necessary skills myself..........I fancy the latter .
All I basically need is some advise on the most user friendly program to help me design /draw detailed floor plans (specifically gymnasiums) and ideally produce both 2 and 3D designs......
Any recommendations that include a comprehensive catalogue of gym equipment blocks would be most welcome.

Many thanks

Kevin S

heinsite View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2014
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12.Feb.2013 at 10:09
Given how far behind you are with the technology I would respectfully suggest you take a hybrid approach to the first few projects.  Hire help to get the work out, but in the process try and learn as much as you can from them about what they're doing.  You're going to find out how complex and difficult it really is.  Especially if Revit is going to be your design platform.

Good luck!
Dave.
Dave Hein, P.E.
Hawaii District Engineer
Kona International Airport
AutoCAD Certified Professional
Autodesk Expert Elite
Benz Man View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13.Feb.2013 at 02:54
Hi Dave and many thanks for your quick reply........much appreciated.

You are, of course, totally correct that technology has moved on since my time and in regards to Revit, the software was suggested to me by a friend for its "apparent" ease of use........I shall ask her staff to give me a demonstration.

I was rather hoping that as technology moved on, basic CAD tasks would have become easier........ and given I only need to generate simple (but accurate) floor plans I wouldn't be getting into anything too complex.

I shall battle on and do a little more research on what's out there.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Kevin

John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13.Feb.2013 at 11:58
Simple 2D floor plans can be generated with just about any CAD program.  I think Revit is overkill for what you want to do.

I would have recommended a totally free AutoCAD clone 2D CAD program called DraftSight by dessault systemes the makers of Solidworks.  There is even a free 150+ page manual.  Both can be downloaded from the dessault systemes website.  Heck, I've used plain AutoCAD to create basic floor plans for years.
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Benz Man View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14.Feb.2013 at 02:25
Thanks John
The resultant drawings would ultimately be used for presentation purposes and the ability to show the projects in 3D would be a real plus.........Hence why I was looking at a more advanced program.
Another bonus would be a comprehensive library of blocks (specifically fitness equipment) or at least the ability to import from other sources.......

There's definitely a program specific to my needs out there as shown by the established gym design companies who already offer quite impressive 2 and 3D illustrations to perspective customers.

Anyway, I'll take a look at your suggestion and see where I go from there.

Thanks again

Kevin 

John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14.Feb.2013 at 11:47
Draftsight does not do 3D.  Stick to Revit.  That's the downfall to asking about what you want ( simple floor planning ) versus what you need.
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

heinsite View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2014
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15.Feb.2013 at 10:07
For simple 3D presentations, and something inexpensive (think: FREE), download a copy of Trimble SketchUp and mess around with it.  You can learn the basics in no time.  And it has the capability to do a complete detailed design as well if you want to take it that far.  It's pretty amazing how much can be done with SketchUp.

Dave.
Dave Hein, P.E.
Hawaii District Engineer
Kona International Airport
AutoCAD Certified Professional
Autodesk Expert Elite

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic