CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 5966
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAutodesk Gallery Powers of Design Exhibit: 10**14 The Solar System

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AliveInTheLab View Drop Down
RSS robots
RSS robots

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Autodesk Gallery Powers of Design Exhibit: 10**14 The Solar System
    Posted: 21.May.2013 at 04:00

"The fireball that we rode was moving
 But now we've got a new machine
 Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah the freaks said
 Man those cats can really swing
 They got music in their solar system
 They've rocked around the Milky Way
 They dance around the Borealice
 They're Space Truckin' everyday"
— Deep Purple

I work out of our office on One Market Street in San Francisco. My standup-desk is right across from our Gallery at One Market. One of our newer exhibits is called Powers of Design. It was first featured at the Technology Entertainment & Design (TED) conference last year. Powers of Design depicts the size of everything from the inconceivably small to the mind-blowingly large. I thought I'd cover the exhibit elements, one at a time, over the next two months. I started small and am working my way up.

Pod10pos14

1014 MAGNITUDE
100,000,000,000,000 m
100 Billion Kilometers

The Solar System

287 Billion Kilometers

It’s been said that it’s sad when someone leaves home unless they’re just going out for cookies. We are indeed leaving our neighborhood as we continue our journey, but alas not for cookies.

The solar system comprises the sun (99.86% of the system’s mass) and the objects orbiting it, formed from the collapse of a molecular cloud 4.5 billion years ago. The inner planets—Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars—are primarily composed of rock and metal while the outer planets (gas giants) are composed mainly of hydrogen and helium (Jupiter and Saturn) and ices (Uranus and Neptune). Formerly the ninth planet, Pluto is now one of the five dwarf planets in the system.

Thanks to Global Content Manager, Matt Tierney, for the images and text that comprise the exhibit element. This is just one of the many exhibits in the gallery at One Market in San Francisco. The gallery is open to the public on Wednesdays from 12 pm to 5 pm, and admission is free. Visit us.

Previous posts on this topic include:

Future blog posts will cover:

• 1015 Cat's Eye Nebula
  • 1016 Pillars of Creation
  • 1017 Great Orion Nebula
  • 1018 M15 Globular Cluster
  • 1019 Sagitarius Dwarf Galaxy
  • 1020 Trangulum Galaxy
  • 1021 The Milky Way
  • 1022 IC 1101
  • 1023 Local Group of Galaxies
  • 1024 The Local Supercluster