CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 8660
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat use are Polylines?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rickduley View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2014
Direct Link To This Post Topic: What use are Polylines?
    Posted: 31.Jul.2013 at 01:25
Heretical question?Angry

My technical drawing background is drafting board and pencil based.  In that work environment polylines do not exist.  The simple fact is that I haven't figured out what I would use them for.Confused

It is a mystery to me why AutoCAD provides a button for polylines on the toolbar but does not for splines.  Splines are useful!  Splines are handy!  Yet to get to splines you have to go burrowing down the menus!Confused

What is so important about polylines?Smile
Outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read!
Graucho Marx
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31.Jul.2013 at 11:47
A simple example.

A four sided box drawn with the line command consists of four separate entities.  A four sided box drawn with a continuous polyline is a single entity.  If you have to move, copy, or rotate the box it would be simpler if it were drawn with a polyline.  Polylines can also be given a "width" which is something that cannot be done with a line.

While splines may be useful to use many people can go their entire lives without ever having need to use them.
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

rickduley View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01.Aug.2013 at 04:21
Originally posted by John Connor John Connor wrote:

While splines may be useful to use many people can go their entire lives without ever having need to use them.
Thanks John.
I guess the same can be said about Polylines.   One day there will be some problem and I'll say to myself, "Here is a job for Polylines!"  Then I'll know what they are for! Wink
Outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read!
Graucho Marx
heinsite View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01.Aug.2013 at 08:29
What use are polylines?

Do you ever hatch irregular shapes?  How do you do it?  Do you select an empty area somewhere in the middle?  Will that always work if it contains additional geometry?  Do you select all of the individual line segments?  That must take a lot of time.

Think polyline.  Hatch.  Select object.  Done.  It doesn't all have to be on the screen.

Do you ever need to determine the area of something?  How do you do it? 

Polyline again.  Just select it and look at Properties.

Do you ever want to draw an object with real width?  How do you do it?  Two lines maybe separated by the width?  Then filled in?  Too much work.

Polyline again.

The list goes on.  Personally (in 2014 at least) I like the ability of adding or removing vertexes.  You can't do that with a simple line object.

Dave
Dave Hein, P.E.
Hawaii District Engineer
Kona International Airport
AutoCAD Certified Professional
Autodesk Expert Elite
jaredlloyd View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2014 LT
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01.Aug.2013 at 20:32
Depending on what you are drafting polylines make the most sense. When I am drawing a foundation plan that isn't a perfect rectangle you just draw one edge as a polyline and then offset the width of the wall.

and that's only the first example that came to mind.
Kent Cooper View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2020, 2023
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05.Aug.2013 at 17:28
In addition to things already mentioned....

Another reason for creating the Polyline entity type back when they first came into the picture was to save memory.  (Memory was expensive in those days, but it doesn't matter so much today.)  A Polyline holds information about its Layer, linetype, linetype scale, color, thickness, lineweight, and so on, once for the whole Polyline, no matter how many segments it contains.  The same construction, using independent Lines and Arcs, would need to keep track of all that information separately for every entity, and would thereby consume more memory.

Polylines with non-continuous linetypes can (optionally) have the generation of the linetype pattern flow around the corners / across the vertices, so that the linetype will be apparent even on something made up (entirely or in part) of segments that are too short for the linetype to show if they were independent Lines and Arcs.

Suppose you have an outline of some kind made up of Lines, and you want all the corners rounded.  You would need to Fillet each corner separately, picking on two Lines for each corner.  With a Polyline, you can use the Polyline option in the Fillet command, and it will round all the corners (details of geometry permitting) with just one pick anywhere on the Polyline.

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic