CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 6165
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedText disappeared in AutoCAD 2011

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BigRed View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2011
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Text disappeared in AutoCAD 2011
    Posted: 02.Jan.2014 at 17:23
I shut my computer down on December 30th and, when I returned on January 2nd, my AutoCAD files displayed no text.  This includes regular text and dimension text.  It is the same in model space and in paper space.  There is a grip where the text should be in dimensions, but there is nothing where the regular text should be.  When I open the files with DraftSight, the text is all there.  I am not aware of having changed anything. 

What may be a clue to what happened is that, when I open a drawing, there are dozens of messages of the form, "** Undefined shape 50", with various numbers including 50.  I'd never seen this.  I can't deduce what is going on and I'm working with DraftSight today, just to get things done.

Am I the only one who thinks that AutoCAD 2011 is the worst version ever?  Things come unstuck that were nailed down 20 years ago.
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02.Jan.2014 at 18:15
I had a couple of serious problems with 2011 AutoCAD so I went back to 2010.

What font are you using?

Undefined shape may be referring to a shape file.  Did the text include any special characters?
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

BigRed View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2011
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02.Jan.2014 at 18:50
Thank you for responding.

The non-displaying text includes Simplex, Standard and Sans Serif.  There may be other fonts.  There are no characters more exotic than ", ', and /.  Many of the non-displaying text entities have only letters and/or numbers.

They are on a common layer, but it is not frozen or off.  The associative dimensions are on the same layer.  The dimension lines and arrowheads are there, but there is a gap where the text should be.  The text is not so small that it can't be seen.  The text appears normally when the file is open in DraftSight.
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03.Jan.2014 at 00:31
Can you attach or upload a DWG file to this website?  I'd be willing to look at it.  I have both AutoCAD and DraftSight too.
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

heinsite View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2014
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03.Jan.2014 at 08:45
Run an AUDIT on the damaged file and tell it to automatically fix any errors it finds.  See if that settles your issue.  You might also want to look for a .bak file.  If you find one, change the name to a .dwg with a different filename.  Open that and see if the trouble is still there.

Dave.

Edited by heinsite - 03.Jan.2014 at 08:47
Dave Hein, P.E.
Hawaii District Engineer
Kona International Airport
AutoCAD Certified Professional
Autodesk Expert Elite

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic