CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 6135
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedmultiline

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kajito View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: multiline
    Posted: 25.Mar.2014 at 00:10

Hi guys, I think I have asked this before but i haven't gotten any answer till today, so let me try again. I tried uncle google but no result ;)

i have difficulty with multilines. I think they are powerful tools (not as powerful as they could be) but I cannot make it work somehow. At least not in every drawing. Lets say you want 215mm wall - you should type offset from centre 215/2 and the multiline should have dim of 215. but it doesnt, not always. It works in some draings but not in all for whatever strange reason. In is not the units or dimension style. Units are the same (mm or uniteless) and to measure i am using distance not dim.

I would highly appreciate any help with this or a direction to this as it really would help me to fight with my extremely slow PC at work .. just imagine 2GB without graphic and CAD 2012 ;)) 

Karol

philippe JOSEPH View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD Mechanical 2017
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.Mar.2014 at 07:41
Hello Kajito, multilines works like this :
When lauching the command MLINE you are asked to set :
Justify ( top, zero, bottom )
Scale ( total width of the mline ) 
Style ( see MLSTYLE )
CHECK THIS ON YOUR ENGLISH? RELEASE ( TRANSLATED FROM FRENCH )
You will draw your MLINE from point to point.
Try to find other informations with your F1 button.
Launch MLINE and press F1.
Tell us if this helped or not.

Edited by philippe JOSEPH - 25.Mar.2014 at 10:37
Kajito View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.Mar.2014 at 11:08
Hi philippe JOSEPH,

Thank you for your reply. I know how to use multiline, styles etc (I consider myself an advanced user). The issue is that when I create new style, lets say 215 wall, the multiline I get doesnt have the same scale in every drawing. In some is correct but mostly it doesnt scale/measure 215 in width. I looked at ddunits and dwgunits but it makes no difference. Really stuck at this.

Thanks anyway
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.Mar.2014 at 11:22
It doesn't have the same scale in every drawing?  That does not make much sense. 

Everything you draw should be done to full size in model space.  The only time scale should come into the picture is when you are using layouts and viewports as your viewports may have different scales assigned to them.  The only other way they would not "scale" the same is if you used two different templates; one based on metric units and the other based on imperial units.

This is one other possibility and that is if you purposely changed the MLine Scale itself everythime you used the command.  It's one of the three options in addition to Style and Justification.  Then it stands to reason no two MLines would be alike.

I don't understand why AutoDesk even decided to name that option Scale as it is really a distance.

Edited by John Connor - 25.Mar.2014 at 11:27
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Kajito View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29.Mar.2014 at 21:42

Thanks John,

it is now solved. My CAD had to be reinstalled last week for otherreasons and I no longer have and the issue with multilines dissapeared too. I agree it must had been some settings that were reset by reinstalling it. 

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic