CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 19782
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSnap Options / Munipulating 3d Objects - Need Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Create View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2015, Revit2015
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snap Options / Munipulating 3d Objects - Need Help
    Posted: 25.Aug.2015 at 16:31
I am fairly new to AutoCAD and have been trying to teach myself, so I'm very thankful for this website and the community it brings with it.

Images Attached.

Goal - To add a door frame and attach the sidewalk to the door, flush.

Problem 1 - Adding a door frame but having trouble with UCS and possibly object snap. I can't highlight the wall I wish to work on, and if I do end up getting the UCS figured out, Is there any problems I will run into with cropping out a door frame (Linear Cuts) into a wall which is non-linear?

Problem 2 - How do I take a 3-d spline and attach it to the door frame flush?

What I have tried - First thing I tried was this
1) Command line - UCS
2) For assigning the X-axis I was stumped on because the Axis I would like to run in along is a polynomial so I figured this wont work so I just entered "World" instead.

Messing around with object snap options but had no luck.

Problem 1 -

Problem 2

Your help is much appreciated.

Edited by Create - 25.Aug.2015 at 16:35
Be the change you want to see.
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.Aug.2015 at 16:35
Are the door and the sidewalk at different elevations?

Why are you using a spline to construct the sidewalk?

Adding a door frame in a curved wall does take some doing.  Did you try punching an opening in the wall first?

What is the wall thickness?  What are the dimensions of your door?  What is the radius of the curve used to define the wall?

Edited by John Connor - 25.Aug.2015 at 16:44
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Create View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.Aug.2015 at 17:19
Hi John, 

Are the door and the sidewalk at different elevations? 

- As far as I am aware, they are at the same elevations. 

Why are you using a spline to construct the sidewalk?

- Let me first give you a little information. I am trying to learn AutoCAD so I figured, after watching many tutorials and following along, I will create a drawing from scratch. I walked around my city and took note of structures that I have not come across in AutoCAD so far. This drawing is just a compilation of buildings and features I have seen in my city. I figured I would come across many problems and this is why I wanted to do it.

Back to your question #2. I am using spline to create a sidewalk because I wanted to add a sidewalk which "Bends" if that makes sense. The only way I figured I could do this is by using Spline and going from there. I am open to any other suggestion which will allow me to create sidewalks which have sinusoidal shape. 

Adding a door frame in a curved wall does take some doing.  Did you try punching an opening in the wall first? 

- No I did not try punching an opening first. I will take this into consideration. Thank you.

What is the wall thickness?  What are the dimensions of your door?  What is the radius of the curve used to define the wall?

Wall thickness - 12"
Door Dimensions - Height 7' Width 3' Thickness 1 3/4"
Radius of curve - How can I check for this if the curvature is on a spline?

Sorry to make this such a hassle, I don't know much about AutoCAD but really want to learn this software. This is the first Software I've ever worked on.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.Aug.2015 at 17:58
The height of a common door is 6'-8".

Why is the wall 12" thick?  Is it a masonry wall comprised of concrete block and brick?

To create the sidewalk I might have used a reverse curve.

You used a spline for the curve of your wall too?  Shouldn't you learn to walk before you try running a marathon?

Where are you located exactly?

Can you upload a copy of the drawing to this website (in CAD block area) or make it available via Dropbox or another file sharing site?

Edited by John Connor - 25.Aug.2015 at 18:34
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.Aug.2015 at 19:19
Curved wall (12") with a 36" wide opening and 4" thick concrete sidewalk.
>

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Create View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.Aug.2015 at 22:39
Why is the wall 12" thick?  Is it a masonry wall comprised of concrete block and brick?

-- I haven't had ANY experience in this world. I am just beginning. I am going to make a ton of ridiculous mistakes but I am willing to fix them and do what I can to improve, with that said, I don't have exact answers for all of these questions. Like I am just trying to guesstimate numbers and get some experience on AutoCAD. I have no help other then this forum, videos online, and books (Which should be enough). 

Is it a masonry wall comprised of concrete block and brick?

-- I would like to use concrete. After reading some forums it seems like 8" should be thick enough. This isn't actually going to be constructed.

To create the sidewalk I might have used a reverse curve.

-- Okay I will try it again using reverse curve. Thank you.

You used a spline for the curve of your wall too?  Shouldn't you learn to walk before you try running a marathon?

-- Of course, I am not trying to leave my level of knowledge, I'm simply trying to challenge myself to improve. If you have any recommendations for beginners I am willing to listen. I didn't know any other way of doing this other than using spline.

Where are you located exactly?

-- South West Florida, Tampa Bay Area.

Can you upload a copy of the drawing to this website (in CAD block area) or make it available via Dropbox or another file sharing site?

-- Yes I uploaded the file onto a public Dropbox account. I just need an email address to send it.

- Thanks again.

Edited by Create - 25.Aug.2015 at 23:11
Create View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.Aug.2015 at 22:50
That is the goal. =)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.Aug.2015 at 23:25
The only spline used was for the wall.  The reverse curved sidewalk was done using the Circle command.

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic