CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 6091
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProblem with ACAD 3d model

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
mmaurigi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Using: AutoCAD 2009
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem with ACAD 3d model
    Posted: 10.Sep.2015 at 14:14
I have a 3d model I have been working on. Everything is fine except one component, a pump. When I close the drawing and reopen it, all the components show up in the model. However, have a longer than usual initial regeneration waiting for the command line to show up, the pump disappears. If I zoom in, I still can't see it. If I hover my over the area where the pump is supposed to be, I can see it in a phantom-like appearance. The model of the pump is a separate file that I insert into the main model as a block. I've also inserted it by just "cutting & pasting" it into the main model and the same thing happens.

Anyone have any idea what might cause this and what I can do to resolve it?

Thanks alot!
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10.Sep.2015 at 15:57
Inserted as a block and not xreffed?

What is the source of the block?
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

mmaurigi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10.Sep.2015 at 16:07
Yes, inserted as a block, not xref'd. The block is a separate 3D .dwg file I created. I ran the Recover and Audit commands on that file and it reports back that no errors are found.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10.Sep.2015 at 16:35
What are the specifications on your system?  Maybe it is a graphics related problem.

Is hardware acceleration enabled?

Are you utilizing clipping planes?

Edited by John Connor - 10.Sep.2015 at 16:35
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

mmaurigi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10.Sep.2015 at 16:59
Hardware acceleration is ENABLED.

System is Intel Core i5-4200M CPU @ 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM, 64bit OS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10.Sep.2015 at 17:14
And are you running a dedicated graphics card or is an onboard graphics chip installed?

Are you making use of clipping planes?

Can you provide a copy of the drawing via DropBox?  Someone here could take a look at it and see if they see the same thing happening as you do.  It doesn't have to be the entire drawing; just enough to visualize the problem.

What is the file size for the 3D pump drawing?

What is the file size of the drawing you are inserting it into?

Is it just the one insertion?

Edited by John Connor - 10.Sep.2015 at 17:16

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

mmaurigi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10.Sep.2015 at 17:38
I am not making use of clipping plane. I actually never have. File size of the pump drawing is 4,210 KB. File size of the drawing it is being inserting it into is 22,060 KB. I'm checking with our IT group regarding your questions about the graphics card/chip. I don't use DropBox. Can I attach the 22,060 KB file here?

Originally posted by John Connor John Connor wrote:

And are you running a dedicated graphics card or is an onboard graphics chip installed?

Are you making use of clipping planes?

Can you provide a copy of the drawing via DropBox?  Someone here could take a look at it and see if they see the same thing happening as you do.  It doesn't have to be the entire drawing; just enough to visualize the problem.

What is the file size for the 3D pump drawing?

What is the file size of the drawing you are inserting it into?

Is it just the one insertion?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10.Sep.2015 at 17:57
I doubt you can attach a file of that size to a post but you might be able to upload it to the CAD Blocks area.

The file size for the pump seems overly large compared to your entire drawing 3D drawing file size don't you think?

Edited by John Connor - 10.Sep.2015 at 17:57

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

mmaurigi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10.Sep.2015 at 18:18
I'm going to place the model in the CAD BLOCKS area. The file is called Pontoon.dwg

Looking at some of the other models of pumps I've done, they're around the 3,600 KB size so this pump model file size is a little larger, but I didn't think it was outrageous.

Originally posted by John Connor John Connor wrote:

I doubt you can attach a file of that size to a post but you might be able to upload it to the CAD Blocks area.

The file size for the pump seems overly large compared to your entire drawing 3D drawing file size don't you think?
mmaurigi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10.Sep.2015 at 18:28
Got the file down to 19,000 KB, but could not load it to the CAD BLOCKS area. It said file size was too big. Turns out I have used DropBox. I uploaded the file there. Now how do can you or anyone else get to it?

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic