CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 5393
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShell-3dConstruct?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shell-3dConstruct?
    Posted: 17.Oct.2015 at 02:00
Are you attempting to do something like this?

Yes?  Then one option would be to manually reorient your UCS.  For example, if I wanted to dimension the length of the object I would first use the UCS command > Origin option to place my UCS icon in the lower left hand corner.  Then I would repeat the command type "X" then type "90" so my icon would have the "Y" axis pointing towards the top of my screen.  Once I have that set I create my dimension which in this case is the 120.

To dimension the width of the object I would relocate the origin of my UCS to the lower right hand corner via the UCS command > Origin option.  However, I need to rotate the UCS 90 degrees so I invoke the command again and first type "Y", hit Enter, then type "90" and hit Enter.  Now my UCS is properly aligned with the right hand side of the 3D model and I can go ahead and dimension it.  Now we have our 72 dimension.

Finally, for the height I would first rotate my UCS by invoking the command and typing "Y", hit Enter, then "-90" and hit Enter.  Next I would relocate the origion to the back right hand corner then I would go ahead and dimension the height of 144 as shown.

This was the original way 3D models were dimensioned before the advent of toolbars with 3D orientations already assigned and before the introduction of the Dynamic UCS.

The downside is the user is doing a lot of typing at the command line to reorient the UCS but some CAD techs got so good at it they never adopted another method when it came along.

And here is a sample taken from the mock up drawing used to create the image above.

Command: UCS

Current ucs name:  *NO NAME*
Specify origin of UCS or [Face/NAmed/OBject/Previous/View/World/X/Y/Z/ZAxis] <World>: O

Specify new origin point <0,0,0>:
Command: UCS

Current ucs name:  *NO NAME*
Specify origin of UCS or [Face/NAmed/OBject/Previous/View/World/X/Y/Z/ZAxis] <World>: Y

Specify rotation angle about Y axis <90>: 90

Command: _dimlinear
Specify first extension line origin or <select object>:
Specify second extension line origin:
Specify dimension line location or
[Mtext/Text/Angle/Horizontal/Vertical/Rotated]:
Dimension text = 72 

Edited by John Connor - 17.Oct.2015 at 23:17
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

kmorgan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Using: AutoCAD2016
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16.Oct.2015 at 21:10
Dear Senior Member:

I have read ALL your posts.(deleted included)
And I just want to say, I have been a member of this site since 2010.
I have a technical specialty degree in computer aided drafting and computer aided manufacturing.
I have a Bachelors degree in interior design and pre-architecture.
I've been drawing in Autocad for over 25 years. (Release 9)
I have Programed (5) different 5- Axis CNC Router Machines.
I have never been made to feel so stupid. And I Quote,

"Forum: AutoCAD
Topic: Shell-3dConstruct?
Posted By: John Connor

I guess I have to dumb this down.

Are you dimensioning in model space? Yes or No?

Do you know how to change the orientation of your UCS? Yes? Then what method are you using? Is it the manual method (typed in at the command line), or are you working off the options provided on the Ribbon, or are you using the Dynamic UCS?

Do you know how to change the orientation of your UCS? No? STOP. Consult your Help file or visit either of the two websites listed below to find a tutorial about the subject:

www.cadtutor.net

www.mycadsite.com​"
​
Parts of this CAD discussion were not conducive to learning, and were very condescending.
Even at the age of fifty, I find it necessary to hone my autocad skills. There are seven solutions to every problem and ten ways to skin this CAD (cat).
This post is not intended or directed to Philippe Joseph, to whom I am thankful
philippe JOSEPH View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD Mechanical 2017
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15.Oct.2015 at 07:37
Hello kmorgan, when working in 3D it's important to know how to use the UCS settings and also manage the viewpoints.
Globaly you are comfortable when working in a plan defined by 3 points for example ( command : UCS , enter , 3 ( for UCS by 3 points ) , enter , clic 3 points , enter.

In the file that I have worked with the different steps I have 3 other UCS settings registrated ( in addition of the UCS World and you can see them at the bottom of the file in the figure 7 - UCS SETTINGS FOR DIMENSIONS.

you can re-apply them with the command : UCS , enter , R for recall I hope because I use a french AtoCAD , 01 or 02 or G+.

Of course there are other possibilities with the "dynamic" mode but I found it difficult.
I use also the command PLAN to set a view in the paper space and set my viewport conformably to a certain UCS.
Try and find a book ( or a PDF file like : AutoCAD_2012_command-ref_enu_v2[1].pdf ) to be read instead of the F1 help that doesn't allow you working in AutoCAD at the same time ).

Try and find on the internet : AutoCAD 3D tutorials by Kristen S. KURLAND and read the pages 36 to 49. 

Edited by philippe JOSEPH - 16.Oct.2015 at 07:11

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14.Oct.2015 at 23:52
So the answer is you really don't know what you are doing? 

Try using the Dynamic UCS feature of AutoCAD to get you properly oriented to the 3D model you are trying to dimension.  First though, take a look in your HELP file to see how this feature works.

And make sure osnaps are enabled.

What visual style are you using?

Edited by John Connor - 15.Oct.2015 at 00:00
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

kmorgan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14.Oct.2015 at 20:22
Not sure...I was following philippe JOSEPH drawing step #7 and it wasn't working for me? Lost in translation apparently. I think my boat sailed, and I wasn't on it! LOL C'est la vie!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14.Oct.2015 at 19:53
I thought you were dimensioning your 3D model in model space.  So what could be the problem?

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

kmorgan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14.Oct.2015 at 18:54
No, I don't think I am? I use the UCS command in model space."Specify origin of UCS or [Face/NAmed/OBject/Previous/View/World/X/Y/Z/ZAxis] <World>:"
Philippe JOSEPH drawings indicates a different dialog, I thought it was to be
at the prompt? Must be some misinterpretation on my part.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14.Oct.2015 at 17:12
Are you telling us you do not know how to alter the orientation of your UCS?

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

kmorgan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14.Oct.2015 at 16:54
philippe JOSEPH
I couldn't make those UCS settings work for me. I'm really not sure what the
problem is? Most likely, User error. I only saw a prompt for UCSSELECTMODE = 1 or 0?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08.Oct.2015 at 15:54
Yes, it is, since most newbies to 3D think they can dimension a 3D model as they would a 2D view.

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic