CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 6548
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedChoosing a portable computer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
OregonDuck View Drop Down

Using: Autocad LT
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Choosing a portable computer
    Posted: 29.Mar.2018 at 17:35
My Architect husband is 80 yo and maintains his licence only to assist family members.  He loved ACAD 14 but the computer with that program recently died.  I had purchased & installed ACad LT 2014 for another computer in the hope that he would use that but he continued to use 14.  Now that 2nd computer is showing signs of failure (thanks HP!). 

I will be in the market for a new portable, it needs to run Acad LT 2014 and I would like to add SketchUP which looks to be more user friendly.   Right now I am interested in Dell products with 17 inch screen.   

What I need is advise on computer selection, perhaps the choice of graphics card (not that they are 'cards' today).
Gayle, Wife of an Architect
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29.Mar.2018 at 20:22
Since this laptop is only going to be used to do 2D drawings I wouldn't worry about getting one with a dedicated graphics card versus an onboard graphics chip unless his drawings are going to be rather large (file size wise).  

If you are set on Dell then I'd say take a look at the Inspiron 17 5000, Intel Core i7-8550U with Win10 Pro as the OS.  It comes with 16GB of DDR4 RAM and AMD Radeon 530 graphics with 4GB of GDDR5 vidRAM.  It will cost somewhere between $1300 - $1400 U.S.

Edited by John Connor - 29.Mar.2018 at 23:27
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

OregonDuck View Drop Down

Using: Autocad LT
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30.Mar.2018 at 18:54
Thanks.

I will contact Dell to see if that configuration is available with 7 or 8 Professional to accommodate husband's AutoCad LT 2015. 
Gayle, Wife of an Architect

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic