CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 16113
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedExtruding with a thickness

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Teecross View Drop Down

Using: Inventor2016
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extruding with a thickness
    Posted: 04.Sep.2018 at 09:42
Hello guys,

I designed the front part of my gear pump. Now I want to extrude it with a certain thickness to make it a square.. but how do i extrude with a thickness? 

I dont want it to be a solid because im gonna insert the gear later.. 

I hope I could bring across what I was meaning.

I don't know how to insert my data so maybe you can look on it to see what i mean to be more clear :/

Cheers,
Teecross
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04.Sep.2018 at 12:55
The only way we can take a look at it is for you to upload a copy of your drawing.  Drawing can be uploaded to the CAD Blocks section of this website or uploaded to a file sharing website like DropBox and a link provided here at the CADforum.

Edited by John Connor - 04.Sep.2018 at 12:58
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Teecross View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04.Sep.2018 at 16:36
Oh alright. Sorry, im new to this forum so I did not know :)

I uploaded my part here https://www.dropbox.com/s/6iue2umct9eqqzv/GearPump2.ipt?dl=0

I want to extrude it with a certain thickness of 10mm each side. Also I kinda want the exact same part on the other end of the extruded part.

But it's not so much about the drawing I made but more in general.. how can I extrude with a cavity? 

Edited by Teecross - 04.Sep.2018 at 16:54

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04.Sep.2018 at 18:07
I missed the fact that you are using Inventor.  Anyway, I was able to import your drawing into AutoCAD.  I'm not exactly sure what it is you want.  It looks like your part is already extruded.  

So what portion of the drawing needs to be 10mm?  Is it the rectangular portion or the raised portion that has the arc at the top and bottom?  Right now the rectangular portion is 5mm thick.  The raised portion is 0.6mm thick for an overall height of 5.6mm.

And what do you mean by "I want to make it a square"?

Edited by John Connor - 04.Sep.2018 at 21:39
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Teecross View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05.Sep.2018 at 07:04
Alright, I uploaded a new drawing, which is just a rectangular. My prior example wasn't great.. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w0nb4ic2wrh7bmd/CADForum.ipt?dl=0

So I want to extrude this rectangular with a certain thickness, i.e. 5mm from each side to the inward.
So the remaining volumen is a cavity.

I hope I expressed what I need to know ^^

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05.Sep.2018 at 12:31
I can't tell you how to do this using Inventor.  In AutoCAD there are a couple of ways to create a cavity in a solid object.  One way would be by subtraction.  The other way would be by using the PressPull command.  And depending on the object itself one could conceivably sweep or extrude a profile to obtain the desired result.

I tried to import the newest .ipt file but it failed for some unknown reason.  It might be an invalid file (corrupted?).

Edited by John Connor - 05.Sep.2018 at 12:52

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05.Sep.2018 at 13:00
Is this the affect you are trying to achieve?  In my example the rectangle is 200x400 and has a thickness of 20.  The "cavity" is 10mm deep.

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Teecross View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05.Sep.2018 at 13:16
Yeah this is the effect but your rectangle is open on one side, i want it to be completely closed from each side. 

So you have a Recangle with an inner cavity.

EDIT: I tried setting a new Work Plane behind the actual workplane and then extruding a rectangle and it works !!!! Just have to pick "Offset from Plane" and set a new plane in the thickness you need from the actual plane <3

Thanks for your help lovely dude! :)

Edited by Teecross - 05.Sep.2018 at 13:31

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05.Sep.2018 at 18:05
So what you really wanted was a hollowed out box.  

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Teecross View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06.Sep.2018 at 09:02
Well yeah that's what cavity is isn't it? A box without volumina on the inside with thickness on the sides 

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic